When I Was Your Man [Kyojuro Rengoku]

Start from the beginning

"I pray for those two souls to come back safely." Gyomei said with tears streaming down his face.

Obanai, not that he was much of a gossip type of guy, said something that broke Kyojuro's heart. "You're not the only one, I'm sure Tengen is just waiting for (Name) to come back home into his arms."

From that moment on, Kyojuro has learned to tune out the voices that mentions the name of his ex lover.

mm, too young, too dumb to realize
that I should have bought you flowers
and held your hand
should have gave you all my hours
when I had the chance
take you to every party 'cause all you wanted to do was dance

Kyojuro is greatly enthusiastic in regards to his duties as a Hashira, but even he has problems. He often came across as cheerfully eccentric, however, he's also kind of oblivious.

He is amiable, kind, and sometimes boasts his extraordinary technique and swordsmanship that comes from his strict practice and discipline. He is an honorable warrior who is adhered to his code of morals and principles that is instilled into him by his mother at a young age.

A youthful one at that, he still makes mistakes and one of them was neglecting (Name). All the times he would come home late from practice, though the man had a hectic schedule, he could have dropped some of them to spend time with his lover.

One of the biggest mistakes he has learned from and still regrets to this day.

now my baby's dancing
but she's dancing with another man

When (Name) came back from the mission, the first thing she did was run into Tengen's arms.

This stung Kyojuro, like hell. Seeing (Name) in another man's arms was uncanny for him. He was used to (Name) running towards him and telling him how the mission went.

But now he had to accept the fact that (Name) doesn't belong to him anymore. Tengen has stolen her heart and Kyojuro can't take it back.

It broke his heart to see (Name) not dancing in front of him but to Tengen instead. On other days Kyojuro would see her teach Tengen a few steps.

From time to time, Kyojuro would also see Tengen's three wives cheer at the sight of (Name)'s dancing. He would hear the three brag on and on about how (Name) could potentially be Tengen's fourth wife.

my pride, my ego, my needs, and my selfish ways
caused a good strong woman like you to walk out my life
now I never, never get to clean up the mess I made, oh
and it haunts me every time I close my eyes
it all just sounds like ooh, ooh ooh ooh ooh

His pride and his ego. A man was taught to always defend it with their life. Kyojuro, though he doesn't always show it, is prideful mostly in his skilled breathing techniques and sword wielding.

For him to stay on top, he pushes himself to practice late at night, leaving (Name) all alone.

His training went on for weeks, even months, until (Name) got sick of it.

With that, the two Pillars broke up.

although it hurts
i'll be the first to say that I was wrong
oh, I know I'm probably much too late
to try and apologize for my mistakes

It's been months since (Name) and the Sound Pillar have announced their relationship and Kyojuro is still hung up at the fact that the two of them broke up.

He was adapting slow with what was around him now, he can't keep up. He still hasn't wrapped his head around the fact that (Name) isn't his anymore.

To get rid of his grieving and come to an understanding of what his relationship was with (Name), he went to her estate late at night and apologized for his rude behavior back when they were dating.

(Name) just gave him the softest smile and patted his head, "Don't worry about it Rengoku, maybe neither of us were really ready at the time, but I hope we could still be good friends."

She went back to calling him Rengoku. How he hated the fact that (Name) was using formalities with him.

Kyojuro was at the verge of tears but he held it in, "Thank you so much (Name)!" He yelled in his usual cheerful voice.

"Shh, you're gonna wake everyone up." (Name) giggled and bid him goodnight.

but I just want you to know
i hope he buys you flowers
i hope he holds your hand
give you all his hours
when he has the chance
take you to every party
'cause I remember how much you loved to dance
do all the things I should have done
when I was your man

Although Kyojuro knew where he stood and where his line was, he couldn't help but feel a string tug the back of his heart. He knew he wanted to be more than friends with (Name) but now that dream is nothing more than a memory.

All that he wishes for now is for Tengen to take good care of her.

do all the things I should have done
when I was your man