32

Chapter 32

“We should work on the distance thing. I can’t handle it if you’re going to be going out with Arthur all the time,” I say, lying on one of Gaius’ medical beds while Merlin is on his hands and knees cleaning the leech tank. “I don’t know what it feels like for you, but when you left for Ealdor it felt like I was sick.”

“And I couldn’t perform my magic well,” he adds, nodding slowly. “It felt…wrong.”

“Exactly. But I found a book and it said we could train this. Stretch it like elastic!” I exclaim, throwing my arms towards the roof.

“Elastic?” he asks, perplexed at the word with a cute dorky face.

“Oh, it’s like this really stretchy material but that’s not the point,” I shake my head, bringing myself back to my original thoughts. “Now that we can communicate we should try it. We can see what happens and I don’t have to run all the way back here after each time to tell you.”

“Gaius doesn’t like me using magic unless I have to,” he falters. I sit up on the bed, grasping its edges.

“Merlin. This could mean the difference between life and death. If you can’t perform magic because I’m not here than…well, nothing good is going to happen,” I shriek. “Besides, the burning in my arm isn’t something I exactly look forward to.”

“Alright, alright,” he submits. “Go to the other side of the castle. Let me know when you’re ready.”

Aye-Aye captain,” I say in his mind, saluting him. He mouths a ‘what’ at the unknown expression but I jog out of the quarters, not bothering to answer. Over the last few days, I had been practising with him at random times to make sure I could do it at will.

Do you still have that book?” he asks while I strut down the corridors back over to near Arthur’s chambers. I am confused for a second before remembering that I brought up the book about Vessels.

Yes. I’ll bring it over tonight.” I answer.

I find an empty corridor that I know is relatively unused, leaning against its wall. The windows peer into the Camelot gardens, a mix of herbs and an orchard and flower beds.

I’m ready. Start with something small”

My mark begins to warm but turns into a sting and a tugging sensation erupts inside me.

That wasn’t too bad. Wasn’t great either but…” Merlin says.

I’ll get a little closer,” I reply. I move another few corridors back down. “Okay.”

Once more, the mark warms. While there is a slight sting, it’s more of a prickling sensation than anything else.

That was good. It feels better,” he says.

Same here. Do it again. Something bigger this time.”

This process goes on for a while. Trying something small, getting comfortable with it then moving on to something bigger. I moved around a lot, starting with finding a distance that is comfortable for both of us then moving on, testing its limits. I can feel myself getting accustomed to it, even just after practising today; Merlin could perform larger spells at a greater distance with no negative side effects on either side. I can only compare it to exercise. Using a small weight to get used to the movement than using a challenging weight, adding more on as needed to push and improve.  

We stick to the castle as limits, pushing both ourselves far enough today. I can feel exhaustion creeping on me, even though it’s the middle of the day. With each spell, it costs me, just a little. But it adds up when you do it over an hour.