28

Chapter 28

"She's been caught," Merlin announces, walking into his room where I lay on his bed waiting for the news.

"Where are they?" I press, sitting up.

"Morgana just came out of a meeting with Uther. She's fine but the King was mad. Mordred's been locked up, under constant guard."

"What are we going to do?"

"We have to do something. Anything."

I move over, standing next to him as we look out his bedroom window, an executioner sharpening his axe. A morbid sight.

"I don't want to watch him die, Merlin," I whisper. Merlin looks at me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "He's just a kid."

"You won't have to," he says to me, bringing me into a much-needed embrace. "Let's go see Arthur."

We knock at the door, peeking through. Arthur sits at his table, Morgana by his side.

"Sorry. Are we interrupting something?"

"Nothing you need to concern yourselves with. Merlin, go do something useful, muck out my stables," he orders.

"At night?" I mutter.

"No, I trust them both," Morgana protests. Arthur motions for us to enter.

"We're going to break the Druid boy out of the dungeons."

"Didn't think you had it in you, Sire," I say, honestly surprised at the Prince's willingness to disobey his father.

"My father wants to execute him at dawn. I don't agree with his decisions."

"The King already knows that Morgana is involved. If he catches you again, he'll be unforgiving," I warn Morgana.

"I'm not worried for myself."

"Elena's right. You need to be in a position where you can prove your innocence."

"This is suicide," Merlin argues but his voice is ignored.

"Dine with him. What better place to be in then with the King himself when the Druid escapes."

"What about getting out of the castle, you'll need help. I can't do that if I'm with the king."

"Merlin will take your place."

"Me?"

"I'm going to take the boy out through the burial vaults. There's a tunnel that leads beyond the city walls. Get my horse from the stables and meet me there. There's a grate that covers the entrance to the tunnel. Bring a rope and a grappling hook to pull it off," the Prince instructs.

"No-no, I can't."

"Merlin. Do you understand? If you're not there to meet us, we'll surely be caught."

"I want to help as well. I can distract the guards if we need it."

"No," the Prince argues. "I can't risk having you caught as well."

"It won't look like I'm smuggling a Druid boy out, I'll stay in front of you. I'm a good actor," I add, wanting to help do my part. Arthur looks hesitant but nods.

I race back to my chambers, changing into shoes that are soft and pliable, enough to not make sound when tapping against the floor. Then I head back up to Arthur's chambers.

"Are you ready? You don't have to do this," he says, placing a hand on my arm. I shake my head.

"I'm going to help."