3

Chapter 3

Leon opens the doors to my new chambers, motioning for me to enter first. I hesitantly step inside. Inside there was a single bed up against the wall to the right of the room, a window opposite the door. It has an overly large wardrobe which I think is mostly to be used to store any work the seamstress creates. There is also a long desk with a set of draws on them. I walk over and open them. To my surprise, it was full of sewing tools that I recognised.

I smile in content at the room.

"This is perfect," I state to the open air.

"I hope so. My chambers are in the same corridor, just down the other end. Most of the other Knights lode here in this area of the castle as well if you need any assistance. I shall go retrieve Gwen fo you." I thank him as he leaves my room.

The smile on my face drops at the realisation of my predicament. I was to be a seamstress. My position was given to me by a King who believes I created my own dress, the dress I wore now. 'Fuck', I mouth, now alone. I start silently swearing, grabbing my hair as I pace the room.

"I am so dead," I groan, flopping back on my bed.

Quicker than I thought, there is a knock at my door. I waddle over to the door and open it to see a beautiful darker-skinned woman with curly brown hair tied up. She wore plainer clothes like the townspeople so I feel safe to assume she was Guinevere, the handmaid.

"You must be Guinevere," I gush, inviting her in.

"I am, but please call me Gwen. You are Elena if I am not mistaken?"

"You are not. Thank you for coming over."

"It is no problem, I had already finished my duties with the Lady Morgana. I hear you are our new seamstress. I am familiar with the field as well."

We talk for a while, sitting at the table against the wall, chatting about the way this castle was run. I would not have my own servant as royalty did but instead share with the Knights who had a few servants to help them dress and collect their food and other services. Our conversation moved on to more personal topics as we discuss random matters to our hearts content

Gwen seems so innocent and kind. Maybe I can trust her, I needed help and I had to have somebody. I wouldn't tell her everything, I would sound mad. But it is worth the shot.

"Gwen." I stutter, not sure how to start this conversation. She looks to me with concern from my tone. "Can I tell you something. I can't tell anyone else."

"Of course, Elena."

"I lied to the King." Her eyes widen as she sits straighter in her chair.

"You lied...to the King?" she asks in disbelief. "What about?"

"That I sewed this dress," I reply hastily, motioning to the thing. "I panicked. He thought I was highborn, a lady but I am not. So I thought, why would a low born be wearing a dress so expensive, so I just said I made it." Gwen sits there for a moment, thinking it through.

"Do you know how to sew at all?" I shrug, raising a corner of my mouth.

"I know the basics. I taught myself when I was younger how to do simple things and basic repairs but nothing lavish enough for royalty."

Gwen puts her hand on my shoulder, comfortingly. "It is ok. As I said, I am a seamstress myself. I can help you. You do the things required, measure them and see what needs to be done and in the afternoons after I have finished my work with Morgana I can help teach you the more intricate work."

This girl has no reason to trust me, believe me, or even help me. If I were to be found out she could be punished with me.

"Gwen... thank you. I will forever be in your debt," I exclaim bringing the girl into a tight embrace. "In fact, any coin I earn besides what I need to live on will go straight to you."