18

This is just more of an in-between chapter without much action, more relationship building. Also, I won't be doing every single episode, more just the ones I feel like I can build Elena into for plot growth and add to the story beyond the one we already know. Over the next few days, I'm going to be sketching in exactly where I'm going to start Elena's main plot so there might be large time gaps so I don't spend too much time on a plot we've already watched.

Chapter 18

Merlin and I walk through the town, the night coming on. He has finished the days work with Arthur not an hour ago and my fingers are sore from sewing Leon new shirts. Weeks have passed since Merlin's new position as Arthur's manservant and I didn't miss out on a single detail of the day as Merlin often came to find me to rant about all the duties the Prince insists they do.

"Have you smelt his socks?" he exclaims, throwing his hands in the air. I readjust the basket of cloth in my arms as we wander through the stalls.

"I'm afraid I haven't. I don't imagine they smell like daisies though," I say, crinkling my nose.

"Well I have, and I think his chamber pot smells nicer."

I look up at the boy, a line across his brow and his cheek in between his teeth. I stop walking, staring at him. Merlin walks forward a few more steps before looking to his side, seeing I'm not next to him. He turns around looking for me, looking like a lost puppy and when he does see me he walks backwards, puzzled.

"What's on your mind?" I ask before he can say anything.

"What?" he says, trying to play it off, eyes darting around. I don't say anything, just continue staring at him. I read about it as a psychological trick, that to get people to say something you just watch them expectantly and they feel the need to fill the conversation. And it seems to work.

"Did you know there's supposed to be a dragon underneath the castle?" My forehead creases, thinking about how weird this conversation is going to become.

"No, I didn't that. Where are you going with this?"

He looks around sceptically, biting his lip. "I can trust you right. I mean, you already know my biggest secret so what's another."

"Merlin, if you didn't trust me, you wouldn't want to tell me, but obviously you do," I state, squinting up at him.

"Come on," he mumbles, grabbing my arm. He leads me away from the main street, into a side alley.

The sun doesn't reach inside the alley, shadows casting over everything. A loose chicken waddles through. What's a chicken doing inside the main city? Merlin runs a hand through his hair.

"Alright. So, I heard this voice calling for me underneath the castle-"

"Because that's normal," I remark. Merlin glares at me, tight-lipped. "Sorry, continue."

"So I went down below the castle, into the caves." He pauses, looking around for a sign of anybody listening. "I spoke to the dragon."

"You spoke to a dragon?" I whisper yell at him, agape. Merlin shushes me but nods. "What...what did the dragon say?"

"He told me that it was my destiny. To be here. That I was born with magic for a reason and I'm supposed to protect Arthur." I bite my tongue, thinking about what it all means. Melin watches me wide eyed waiting for my response. Maybe I should tell him, he trusts me with his secrets, it's only fair that I can trust him. I feel guilty though, telling somebody I have only met a month or so ago yet my closest friends for a year don't have a clue. But I push those feelings aside knowing the circumstances are different.