21

Chapter 21

I look between the door Merlin just stormed out of and Gaius whose face matches my own. My shoulders drop. Giving a final glance at Gaius, I race out the door after him. I down both ends of the corridor, not seeing him either way. Where would he go?

I turn to the right and jog down, determined to find him, the skirt of my dress tucked in my fists. I reach the end of the new corridor, another choice of left or right. I turn left, leading me back into the outdoor area. I stride out onto the courtyard but only guards, some knights and a handful or servants are out. Letting out a frustrated sigh, I turn and walk back into the castle.

It seems as though I walk through every corner of the castle soon enough. Just as I am about to give up, I pass into a corridor which has large archways, open-aired with railings going up halfway. The wide floor is always lit in the day, the sun not struggling to find its way in here. One lonely figure leans up against one of these railings, halfway across the hall.

My head tilts, watching the boy for a moment. His hands out before him, gripping the stone and his head falling between his shoulders. Too much weight on him, pulling him into despair. All he tries to do is the best he can but the world constantly suppresses him. Not that it is Gaius' fault, he wanted the boy alive even if it means hiding him.

My feet lift themselves, pulling me towards him and next thing I know, I stand beside him. His eyes flicker to me but go back to staring outside.

"I know you don't hear this enough, from anybody." I place my hand on his arm. "But thank you. I wouldn't be alive without you; neither would Arthur, or Tom, possibly even Gaius."

"I thought I was doing a good thing and that curing Gwen's father would help her. I thought I was saving lives. It seemed so simple."

"And you did save lives, but every action has consequences and we have to learn to live with them or learn to choose work past them. But just know, whatever you do, as long as you are doing it to try and help, I will always appreciate it. I will always support you even if I disagree with you. But you have to be careful because I cannot save you from the grave." My voice stays even, squeezing his arm. Merlin smiles, finally turning to look at me with those puppy dog eyes.

"I know. And I need to save Gwen."

"You sure do," I assure. "I'll come."

I move to leave but Merlin's arms wrap around my neck, trapping me. I laugh, wrapping my own around his torso. "Thank you," he whispers.

Gwen sits on the ground, tied in chains at her hand, her eyes red a puffy.

"Gwen," Merlin hollers. The handmaid pushes herself off the floor and walks towards us but the chain doesn't let her reach the cell wall between us.

"Thank you," she sobs, even though she tries to hide it.

"What for?"

"Coming to see me."

"Gwen, we will get you out of here. That's a promise and I never forgot my promises," I swear to her, smiling for her benefit. Gwen lets out a strangled chortle.

"You promised me a month ago that you would try that soup I make," she sniffles. I purse my lips, raising a finger.

"I haven't forgotten," I splutter. "It just left my mind for a while but it's back and I need you alive to make it."

"Can you promise me one more thing? Both of you," she whimpers, hugging her arms to herself. "Remember me."

I shake my head at her submission to her determined fate. I cannot submit to it as she has, refusing in my mind to accept the possible idea of her death.