chapter 15 : birthday

Começar do início

"How are his grades?" She interrupts, without looking at me.

I open my mouth to say something harsh, but July squeezes my arm. I look at him and exasperatedly mouth the words, 'Why is she like that?' He shakes his head and tells me to calm down.

My fingernails dig into my palm. Keeping my voice as calm as possible, I say, "I don't see how that matters."

"Of course it matters!" She snaps, and I habitually shrink. "Grades determine whether he is a good kid or not. Grades determine whether you should hang out with him or—"

I've had enough. "So since Dawn never had good grades, he was bad? Is that what you mean?"

I see her falter for a moment. But her face tightens immediately. "Stop bringing that boy into everything."

I shake my head. "No, you don't understand. He will always be in everything. And now that he is gone, and I am finally trying to get back into normal life by making friends, you're not really helping."

"Stop talking back to me!" She screams, and I shudder so hard that I take a few steps backwards.

"That's enough, Cedar. Let's go back." July starts pulling me away, but I don't budge.

"Edgar's family is poor," I say patiently. Bravery comes from determination. "If I don't go, they might think it's because of that. I don't want them to think that our family is a proud bunch of rich brats who look down on the poor. You don't want that either, right?"

Most people don't believe this, but we Lockwoods lead very modest lives. My dad has enough savings to buy a luxurious apartment, but he still bought this small house in this open neighborhood away from the part of the city crowded by buildings. Dad also does a lot of charity work in the city's slum areas. Mom herself comes from a poor family, so she isn't the type to look down on them.

The logic shuts her up. I take the opportunity. "It will only be a few hours. I will cover it up at night. If you and Dad don't want to come, that's fine. It will be easier for them, anyway. But I don't want to hurt their feelings."

A silence stretches from both sides. I keep my gaze fixed on the floor, patiently awaiting her reply. If she doesn't agree, then there is simply nothing more to be done about this. Edgar and his family will have made their minds about me, and I probably won't get a chance to fix this.

"Cedar Lockwood," she finally says, and I look up. "If I find your grades drop even minutely, you'll see the worst of me. Remember that before you go."

Oh my God. She agreed. July claps encouragingly.

"Thank you for letting me," I say, "I promise it won't happen." Sighing, she goes back to her work. When I turn to July, smiling in triumph, he tells me, "You forgot one thing."

I silently sigh, as I hoped he forgot. I start again, "Also...." She turns her head back, an annoyed look on her face. "Uh, thanks for asking the PE teacher to let me sit out."

Her expression becomes neutral, which makes me feel a lot more happy than getting the permission. Glancing at her once, I head back to my room.

Me and July do a high five with both our hands.

"Woah, you look so happy. You really wanted to go, didn't you?" July asks.

"Kinda," I reply, which makes him laugh.

"Alright, reply to him now. Let's see what he says."

[received today, 10:55 pm]