Present - Taehyung & Seokjin

How did you tell someone the truth?

Seokjin kept learning that lesson over and over endlessly.

...

All of this felt so eerily familiar. Only instead of being curled up around the low coffee table tucked away in the safety of their little apartment, he was sitting at a cheap metal one located in the corner of the restaurant he had decided to take a part time job at. Once again, he was faced with two paths. One filled with vile anger and one filled with all of the gentle understanding he held within.

"So that's what he meant." Of all the scenarios that had popped into his mind when Jungkook had uttered those words, that hadn't been one of them. "But I thought breaking a mating bond was supposed to be impossible."

"Turns out it's not. Just really, really difficult. Especially considering Kook didn't want to do it in the first place."

"So Jimin -"

"It was awful. All of it. From the moment they started to the moment it finally broke. I honestly didn't think either of them were going to survive. Both of them were so weak when it was all done. But Kook... I can't even explain it. It was like he refused to go out like that."

"Then why didn't Jimin make it too?"

"Honestly? I have no idea. For a while there, it really seemed like they were both gonna be okay. But then Jungkook just kept getting stronger while Jimin just kept fading."

"But that isn't Jungkook's fault. They both knew the risk, right?"

"Everyone knows it's not Jungkook's fault. Except for Jungkook. Normally when these things happen, it's the alpha that suffers the most. That has the highest chance of fading away."

"He wasn't the one who wanted it."

"Here's the thing Jin. Jungkook never told anyone that."

"Why?"

"Because he didn't want anyone to blame Jimin. It was easier if they thought he was the one who wanted to break their bond. He just made up some lie about not being in love with him anymore and refused to listen when everyone tried to talk him out of it because of the risk. I really don't think he expected to make it through it all. We were supposed to bury him, not Jimin."

"There has to be a reason why he survived."

"I think that reason is you."

"What are you talking about? He didn't even know I existed."

"You've heard of fated mates, right?"

"Of course. But those are just a fairy tale."

"Jungkook said something to me a few days ago that got me thinking. He said it felt like his soul knew yours. Not even normal bonds run that deep."

"You're saying we have a soul bond." That their souls would share some sort of connection that transcended heaven and hell and the earth it's self seemed both impossible and totally, completely true all at once. There was no denying that there was something between them, some deep, dark wire tying them together. A spark that kept leading them back to one another. "My mother has one too."

"For real?"

"I don't think he knows that's what it is, but yeah. He hasn't seen my father in years. Not since I was little. But he's still so in love with him it's frightening."

"You don't have a brother or anything that might be interested in a super attractive beta, do you?"

"Unfortunately I'm an only child. But I do know a super cute alpha who isn't picky."

"I'll let you know if I ever lower my standards."

...

"This is a terrible idea." Why was he always being put into these situations anyway?

"Do you have a better one?"

"Honestly? Not really. I just really want to keep all my limbs."

"Listen, I know you're scared of the big, bad alpha, but the cute little omega will protect you."

"I sense your sarcasm and raise you the fact that I have seen this man actually throw people."

"... Okay, admittedly, that's kind of hot. God, I love strong alpha's."

"You smell like someone dropped you into a vat of vanilla ice cream right now."

"Yeah, that tends to happen when I get excited."

"Oh he's definitely moving out."

"What, you don't like it?"

"It's making me hungry and I've already gained five pounds because all this boy eats is take out."

"You sound whiny. It's kind of making me forget who the omega is here."

"Starting to regret agreeing to help you."

"Look, all you gotta do is unlock the door and point me in the right direction. You should have plenty of time to run away with your tail between your legs."

"At least I'll still have both of legs."

"For now."