Katy

“Yeah, he just like, fell and then he didn’t get back up.”

“I heard it was a closed head injury.”

“Well, I heard he’s asthmatic.”

“I heard he wasn’t eating.”

“What like…. He’s anorexic?”

“Yeah.”

“Don’t be stupid that’s a girl thing.”

“Yeah, guys aren’t anorexic, that’s just weird.”

Staring down at my lunch I listened to the conversations buzzing around me in the crowded cafeteria. I knew of course, that Calum was probably anorexic to some degree based on the way he had thrown up in the parking lot the other day, however that wasn’t my business to tell.

“Hi. Katy?”

Startled, I looked up from my untouched sandwich to where Annie was standing infront of me.

“HI.” I said slowly.

“Can I sit here?” she questioned, gesturing to the empty table, where I was sat.

“Yeah.” I replied nodding, “Of course.”

Grinning brightly, she sat down across from me.

“Hi.” She repeated.

“Hey.” I replied, gently.

“How are you?” she questioned.

“I’m fine.” I mumbled, “How are you?”

“Oh I’m good.” She replied, “I’m really good. Really, really good.”

“That’s good.” I sighed.

Smiling she reached into her Hello Kitty lunch bag and removed a zip lock bag of Lucky Charms, a plastic spoon and a milk box.

Curiously, I watched as she dumped the milk in with the cereal and shook it around a bit before dipping the spoon in and taking a bite.

“That’s an interesting lunch.” I informed it.

“I packed it myself.” She mumbled with her mouthful.

“That’s good.” I praised in a tone I hoped didn’t come across as patronizing.

“Thanks!” she gushed, smiling widely.

Suddenly a large shadow blocked the light between us.

Realizing that there was someone behind me, but too terrified to turn round, I stared down hard at the table.

“You mind if we sit here?” a guy’s voice asked politely.

Feeling my cheeks burn a deep shade of scarlet I shook my head quickly.

“Thanks.” Another guy’s voice said kindly.

Keeping my head bowed I watched out of the corner of my eye as two Varsity soccer jocks, Luke and Michael sat down. Michael plopping down across from me next to Annie and Luke sitting down beside me.

“Hi!” Annie greeted, spraying chewed up cereal all over my lunch.

“Annie!” Michael gasped.

“Sorry!” she gasped.

“It’s fine.” I said quickly.

Sighing, Michael handed me several napkins, which blushing, I took and used to dab at my meal, however it was more or less soiled.

“Do you want me to buy you something else?” Michael offered.

“No.” I said quickly, “That’s okay. I don’t need anything.”