Katy

“That’s beautiful Katy.”

Smiling proudly I turned around to glance at my art teacher Miss Kit as she looked over my shoulder at the large painting I’d stayed after school to finish.

“It’s very dark though.” She informed me, eyeing the quick brushstrokes which depicted an overweight girl ripping her skin away revealing a gaunt, Skelton thin girl beneath.

“Is that bad?” I questioned, frowning.

“No,” she said quickly, “No, no not at all. I love it.”

Sighing in relief I stood up and started towards the sink in the back of the room to wash off my brushes.

“You know Katy,” Miss Kit said to my back, “I can’t help but wonder about the meaning of your painting.”

“I think it’s fairly self explanatory.” I mumbled.

Miss Kit sighed, “That’s what I was afraid off.”

Finishing cleaning off my brushes I placed them in the bucket of water to soak before retrieving my backpack from near my easel and starting for the door.

“Katy,” Miss Kit called out, as my hand wrapped around the cool brass door handle.

“Yes?” I sighed.

“Not everyone is meant to be a runway model.” She said gently, “It takes all kinds to make the world go round.”

“Thanks Miss Kit.” I mumbled, before pushing the door open and existing the stuffy classroom, and stepping out into the empty hall.

My shoes scuffed noisily along the linoleum floor as I walked towards the large front doors. With every step I could feel myself jiggle, feel my gut wiggle and flop, feel my legs rub together painfully, feel the roll of fat on the back of my neck fill with sweat.

Reaching the doors I threw them open as my eyes filled with tears. It was disgusting, I was disgusting. My head bowed, I could feel myself start to sweat as I walked through the surprisingly warm and muggy afternoon air.

The parking lot was completely empty, apart from the cars of the few teachers and janitors who remained, since all the students had left long ago.

Turning away from the parking lot I let my eyes wander to the seemingly empty track which was when I saw the figure sprawled out on the hot synthetic rubber track, his head twisted to the side and his arms and legs splayed out wide.

Freezing in my tracks I stared down at the boy wondering sincerely if he was dead. The thought of calling an ambulance crossed my mind but my phone was dead. I considered going back and getting Miss Kit but that would take a while.

My heart hammering wildly in my chest I forced myself to walk down the silver bleachers down to the track to where he lay. As I approached I realized that I knew the boy. Not on a personal level of course, since as far as I was knew he didn’t know I existed, however he was one of those kids that everyone sort of knows, and loves even though it’s blatantly obvious he’s kind of a complete ass.

Ass or not though I wasn’t about to leave him passed out to bake in the sun and so tentatively dropped to my knees beside him. Licking my lips nervously, and tentatively prodded the space on his back between his bony shoulder blades.

Receiving no response I shook him roughly, which did absolutely nothing. Beginning to consider the possibility that he was dead I looked around nervously. My eyes landed on what appeared to be his water bottle lying a few feet away.

Rising to my feet I retrieved the now warm drink and twisting off the cap dumped it over his head. Almost instantaneously his eyes shout open and he gasped, blinking rapidly. His forehead creased in confusion he pushed himself up onto his knees and looked around wildly his eyes widening as they landed on me.

"Hi," I greeted thickly.

"Hi." he mumbled in response.

Taking a cautious step forward I handed him his water bottle which he took greatfully and began emptying in savage gulps.

"It's Calum right?" I questioned.

Still drinking he nodded.

"Are you okay?"

Another nod.

"You scared me, I thought you were dead."

Finishing off the water bottle he tossed it to the side, taking slow deep breaths before rising shakily to his feet.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked.

"Fine." he answered.

Nodding I watched as he crossed over to a black backpack lying a few feet away and swung it over his shoulders.

"Do-do you want me to get that?" I questioned, "I'm not expert but I highly doubt you should be carrying heavy stuff right after....."

"I said I'm fine." he interrupted.

"Oh," I mumbled, "Okay, sorry."

Sighing I watched as his dark eyes traveled up and down my lumpy body before focusing on my face, a frown furrowing his features.

"Do you go here?" he asked, jerking a thumb in the direction of the school.

Blushing I nodded, "I'm in your Math class." I mumbled, "And history, and art, and government."

"Oh," Calum said awkwardly, wiping away the sweat dripping from his forehead with the back of his hand, "Sorry."

"It's okay." I replied, shrugging, "I sit behind you, and you spend all day testing or shoving your tongue down random girl's throats so, I wouldn't expect you to notice."

"What are you jealous?" he scoffed.

Yes, extremely.

"No." I said quickly, "Of you? No."

Rolling his eyes he let out a harsh, humourless laugh, "Whatever......what did you say your name was again?"

"I didn't." I muttered, "But it's Katy."

"Oh," Calum laughed, snapping his fingers, "Katy Prat! the rolling ball of....."

Trailing off he looked down.

"Fat." I finished for him.

Wincing, he crammed his hands in his pockets, "Sorry."

I shrugged, "I'm used to it."

Calum opened his mouth to reply however before he could the air was filled with his obnoxious ring tone. Blushing furiously and laughing awkwardly, he reached into the front pocket of his backpack and pulled out his cellphone.

Frowning at the name on the screen, he gave me a small, sympathetic smile before pressing the phone to his ear and walking past me, leaving me alone.

Sighing, I bowed my head, and with ears ringing with the insults pelted at me all day long, started home.