Calum

A week later every possible question about the "kidnapping" as it was being dramatically referred to, had been asked by every possible person. From the principal, to gaggles of timid freshman girls running up to me and posing their questions made nearly unintelligible by their nervous titters.

Teachers had tried to act concerned to pry details from me, in order to have a leg up on their peers in the teacher's lounge gossip game. I'd been interviewed by six news stations, three of them local, the other three national. Michael had grilled me, I'd told him everything. Even Annie had asked, I gave her the pg version, excluding the details of Katy's try on the train tracks and Gracie's gruesome act.

I'd told my story so many times to so many different people that it was starting to feel less and less like my life, and more and more like a Lifetime drama.

It didn't help that I was the only one to return back to school. Sierra's parents kept her at home, watching reruns of nineties cartoons and whining to a shrink, Gracie was in a jail somewhere awaiting trial and as for Katy, I had no idea.

It was strange, spending every single moment with her for three days straight and then nothing. I felt strangely close to her, and Sierra as much as it pains me to admit it. No matter how many times we told our story, we were the only three who'd experienced it and could understand the feelings of confusion and disbelief still circling through our minds.

So, when Katy sat down across from me a week later in the library, I had to exercise great lengths of self control to keep from jumping up and kissing her in that aunt you haven't seen since Christmas who always pinches your cheeks and buys you kid sized clothes, sort of way.

"Katy!" I more or less shrieked, earning glowers of disgust from the physics club who were sat huddled around a laptop watching a documentary on properties of physics several tables over.

Her face glowering with embarrassment she sank down into the chair across from me.

"Where have you been?" I demanded.

Shrugging, she ran her fingertips through her hair before setting down the stack of books in her arms. Scanning the spines, I cocked an eyebrow at the titles.

Understanding The Law.

Law For Dummies.

How To Win A Court Case.

And my personal favorite, Legally Blonde : The Average Person's Guide To Winning A Court Case.

"What class is this for?" I asked.

"It's not." She muttered.

"Oh man, did you get pulled for student council jury duty?"

"No."

"You applying to Harvard or something?"

She shook her head.

"You're a hardcore Judge Judy fan?"

"Calum." She sighed, "Please."

Nodding, I smiled apologetically and watched as she opened one of the books and began to read.

"You know what would be easier then reading that, as gripping as it looks?" I questioned.

Looking annoyed she glanced up at me.

"You could just as me." I continued, "I grew up in the swivel chair at my Dad's office and in my Mom's court room."

"Your Mom is a judge?" she asked.

"Was a judge." I corrected, "Now she wants to align her chakras or some shit, she's a vegan and a Buddhist, I don't know it's weird."

Hesitating for a moment, she closed her book.

"What's up?" I questioned, leaning forward.

"You can't tell anyone." She whispered, looking around nervously, "But I don't know what to do."

Feeling myself frown, I nodded, urging her to go on.

"Do you promise you won't tell anyone?"

"I promise." I replied, holding out a pinkie which after a moment of hesitation she hooked her own through.

Pulling her hand back and sitting on it she took a deep breath, seemingly gathering her thoughts before speaking, "I need a lawyer."

"Why?" I asked, lowering my voice as a librarian walked past.

Sighing, Katy looked down at her lap, "My nephew, they took him and I need to get him back."

My eyes widening, I reached up and ran my fingertips through my hair, "Who took him?"

Reaching into her backpack, she removed a piece of paper and slid it across the table to me. Picking it up I scanned the words written there, once, twice, three times, the words 'unfit environment, neglectful parent, and child endangerment' leaping out from the page.

"Please." Katy pleaded softly, "I need him."

"After school," I said slowly, lowering the paper, "We'll talk to my Dad. He's a lawyer, he'll help.... We'll help. We'll get him back, I promise."

"How do you know?" she asked looking to be on the verge of tears.

"Because I promised," I replied, "We'll get him back Katy, I promise."