Katy

After Art on Wednesday, I found Sierra waiting infront of my locker, bouncing from foot to foot excitedly, twirling her car keys around her finger.

Taking a deep breath, I forced my lips to curve upwards into a grimace which I hoped resembled some sort of a smile.

“Katy!” she shrieked, as her mascara caked eyes, landed on me, drawing attention to the two of us, “Let’s go pick you a dress!”

Here’s the thing about dress shopping, it sucks. Everything was either shin length with a peter pan collar, or a conservative, sparkly sack which would only look acceptable on the mother of a middle aged groom. After twenty minutes of sifting through racks of dresses organized not by size but by color, I was more than ready to toss in the towel, however Sierra was not deterred. In fact, quite the opposite, the more time went on, the more into it she got, treating the whole thing like a job, like her soul purpose in life was to find me a dress.

“What about this one?” she questioned, holding up a gross silvery thing which looked like it had once belonged to a giant toddler.

“That’s worse than the last one.” I muttered, glancing over at the hot pink, sequin flapper dress lying strewn on a nearby chair which reeked of moth balls and egg salad.

“How about this?” she asked, holding up a denim dress that would have been big on Shamu.

Trying not to let my disgust show in my face, I shook my head.

Sighing, Sierra ran her perfectly manicured fingertips through her hair.

“This is harder than I thought it’d be.” She informed me.

“This is why I hate shopping.” I muttered, crossing my arms over myself.

“How can you hate shopping?” Sierra gasped, “It’s like my favorite thing to do!”

“It’d probably be my favorite thing too if I looked like you.” I sighed.

Frowning, Sierra looked down at her body.

“Shopping just reminds me how fat I am.” I continued, “It’s not like I ever forget but, shopping just smears it in my face.”

“I know it’s not the same thing.” Sierra said slowly, “But everyone says I’m too tall and skinny.  My brothers call me Slender Man.” 

Snickering I tried to hide it with a cough, however locking eyes with Sierra I relaxed, realizing that she was laughing into her hand.

“Slender man? Really?” I questioned.

“Yeah.” She giggled, “And Jack Skelington.”

Laughing harder, I tried to look sympathetic, however, doubled over, my shoulders shaking with amused guffaws, it was quite difficult.

“Laugh it up Katy.” Sierra muttered, trying to  look annoyed even though her lips were curving upwards into a smirk.

“I’m sorry.” I breathed out, “It’s just, funny. You’re so perfect. It’s kind of nice to know you have problems to….Is that horrible?”

Cocking her head to the side, she thought for a moment.

“I don’t this so.” She said slowly, “It must be nice not to be the butt of the joke for once.”

Chewing my lower lip, I nodded.

“I’ve never said anything mean to you, or about you for that matter.” She informed me, poking at the vanilla frappe in her hands with the green straw sprouting from the top of the drink.

“I know.” I replied, straining my memory to think of a time when she had and coming up blank.

“It’s stupid.” She sighed, crossing her feet, and wobbling slightly, “It’s like people are so scared of fat, they treat anyone that is like they’re the problem. Like somehow, they’re love handles will fly off and stick to them if they get too close.”

Nodding, I looked down.

“Not that your fat.” Sierra said quickly, “I didn’t mean it like that I just…”

“It’s okay.” I interrupted, “I know I am.”

Wincing, she offered me a sympathetic smile, which I returned.

“For what it’s worth.” She said slowly, turning back to the rack of dresses which seemed to trail on for as far as the eye could see, “You’re pretty. Like really pretty.”

Taken aback, I froze.

“What?” Sierra questioned, “You okay?”

“Yeah.” I said quickly, “I just….I don’t know, nobody has ever said that to me before.”

“What, that you’re pretty?” she asked, undoubtedly flabbergasted since her Daddy had been referring to her as his pretty little princess since she left the womb.

Feeling my cheeks heat up with embarrassment I nodded.

“Shit.” Sierra breathed, “Seriously? That’s like the saddest thing I’ve ever heard.”

I shrugged.

“You know what it is.” She informed me, “No one looks at you long enough to see it. But they will, we’ll make them.”

“How?” I questioned.

“On Friday.” She replied, “We’ll show them, but first, we have to find you a dress, what about this one?”

Removing a hanger from the rack she held up a light bluish, lavender masterpiece.

“I love it.” I breathed.

“Good!” she laughed, thrusting it at me, “Go try it on!”

Smiling, I looked down at the dress, and unable to stop running my fingertips over the smooth material made my way to the dressing room, pleading with whatever higher power would listen that it would fit.