Calum

Staring down at my phone I waited for Katy to reply even though I knew she wouldn't. It was the next day and I had yet to hear from her on what had happened the night before.

I suppose I should have been watching where I was walking, along the long deserted hallway on my way to class, however staring at my phone seemed like the appropriate thing to do at the time. As if by looking at it she would somehow now and send an answer to one of the fourteen texts I'd sent her.

It wasn't until I crashed into someone, sending us both staggering, that I tore my gaze from the device.

Startled and confused, the words "Watch it." Slipped off my tongue, before my eyes fell on a red eyed, blotchy cheeked Bethany sat on the ground, looking like a kicked puppy.

I wanted to laugh at her and tell her that her eyeliner was running. Part of me wanted to laugh at her misfortune and walk past her, grinding her fingers into the tile floor as I passed. And part of me, the bigger part of me wanted to help her.

I tried to remember when it was that I first started hating Bethany. An image of her shoving me off the play structure in kindergarten and breaking my arm came to mind. So did the memory of saying I was the only kid in our class not invited to her seventh birthday party because I was fat.

I wanted to leave her crying on the floor, a physical representation of how she'd made me feel internally on more than one occasion, however I found myself reaching a hand out to her.

Looking shocked, she tentatively took my hand and allowed me to pull her to her feet. She smelled up clothes, like an Abercrombie store, which if you've ever been one is a nauseating scent, however I tried to ignore it as I stopped down and picked up the pamphlets and papers she'd dropped.

I wasn't trying to be nosy. It wasn't like I went out of the way to read the title of one of the pamphlets but as I picked it up I couldn't help but read the title.

'Unwanted Pregnancy? You have options'

Freezing dead in my tracks I looked at the pamphlet beneath it.

'Resources for Young Mothers'

Stunned I let my eyes wander up to Bethany's mortified face before pulling the paper out of the stack and scanning it. I felt my mouth fall open as I read the form for an abortion clinic. My head spinning I hastily closed it.

"Do you even know whose it is?" I blurted out as if my mouth had a mind of its own.

"I mean, is it, the Dad is he like, who is it?" I rambled, trying and failing to smooth out the situation.

Looking like she wouldn't mind if she dropped dead, she took the pamphlets from my grasp.

Instinctively my eyes wandered down to her stomach. It didn't look any different but it was undoubtedly too early to tell. Frowning, Bethany crossed her arms over herself.

"You can laugh." She said quietly, her voice hoarse, "I know I deserve it."

Wondering why, after fourteen years she was finally showing some hint of remorse, my mouth fell open then closed again.

Sighing, she tucked her hair behind her ear and bowing her head, started past me.

My mind reeling, my hand reached out and crabbed her lightly by the arm.

Startled, she gasped lightly, before wiggling out of my grasp and turning to face me expectantly.

"You don't." I said thickly, sounding like Frankenstein struggling to string together a coherent sentence.

Looking at me as if I'd just admitted to her that I saw dead people, she waited for me to continue.

"You don't deserve to be made fun." I elaborated, "No one does. No one should ever question whether or not their life is worth living because of another person, that's sick."

Her eyes welling with tears, Bethany looked down, "I thought you hate me."

"I can't stand you." I admitted, "I've fantasied about you accidentally turning your car on with the garage shut on numerous occasions."

Bethany winced.

"But I'm not like you." I continued, "I have this little thing called empathy that stops me from being a complete ass hole. Maybe this will help you to get some. I think knowing what it's like to be in a shitty situation will help you."

Reaching up, she wiped her eyes on the back of her palm.

"Good luck." I sighed, "With, that. But I have to get to class."

Adjusting my backpack on my back I started forward when I felt her latch onto the hem of my jacket.

Sighing, I turned to face her once again, "What?"

Wincing slightly, she withdrew her hands from me and into the sleeves of her sweatshirt.

"Never mind." She whispered.

Feeling guilty, I manually attempted to soften my facial features, "What is it Bethany?"

"Can you do me a favor?"

A harsh, bark like laugh fell out of my throat.

"I know I don't deserve it." She said quickly, "But my Mom took my car this morning, she took my phone, she kicked me out."

Feeling bad I sighed, "What do you want me to do about it?"

"Nothing." She mumbled, "I just, I need a ride to get rid of it. Please. I just want to get rid of it."

"You have friends." I replied, "Have one of them drive you. Lexi or something."

It was her turn to laugh, "Lexi wouldn't. She's all like, Catholic. She'd hate me."

"Ask another friend then."

"I don't have another friend to ask. By the time we got to the parking lot the entire school would know!"

"I don't know what you want me to do? It's not my baby! Ask the dead!"

Immediately her face crumpled and letting out a gasping sob, Bethany started to cry again.

"What?" I groaned.

"I can't!" she choked out.

"Sure you can." I sighed, "Just walk up to him and be like, 'hey, remember the time we did that dance, the one without pants and you told me you didn't need a condom because you've never gotten anyone knocked up before? Well surprise mother fucker there's a first time for everyth...."

"Calum!" she interrupted, looking like she was about to throw up.

I looked at her expectantly.

"He's dead." Choked out, after a moment, "The dad is dead."