Calum

“You better play your damn heart out at this game.”

“Don’t I always?”

Frowning, my Dad watched as I tied the laces of my cleats.

“There are going to be college scouts at this game.” He informed me, “If you fuck this up, you’re screwed.”

“Dad ease up.” Anna muttered.

“Shut up.” Dad snapped, “Did I ask you?”

“Stop it.” I snapped, looking around to make sure none of the other parents had heard my Dad’s outburst.

“This is your one shot Calum.” My Dad warned, “You blow this…. And I’ll kill you.”

“Dad!” Anna cried.

“You sound like a psycho.” I informed my Dad, rising to my feet and glancing over to where my team where playing Butts up in the net, all shooting their balls and Michael’s bent over backside, trying to hit him in the rear end.

“Just, don’t blow this.” He sighed.

“Okay, fine.” I snapped.

“Go on.” He muttered.

Sighing, I turned on my heel and jogged across the field to where Luke was standing.

“Hey!” he greeted.

“Hi.” I muttered.

“You missed it man!” he laughed, “I hung out with Mikey last night and Annie, man, she’s hilarious.”

Nodding, I chewed the skin on the side of my thumb scanning the bleachers for the college scouts however it was impossible to tell between the students watching, and all the parents.

“You okay?” Luke questioned, “You look nervous?”

“There’s going to be scouts.” I informed him.

“Sweet right?” he cried, “I need to play well.”

“Me too.” Michael agreed, joining us, rubbing his backside.

“You know what wouldn’t suck balls?” Luke asked, “If we all ended up going to the same college, playing on the same team.”

“We could all live in a frat house!” Michael gushed.

“You guys are idiots.” I informed them.

Laughing, Luke shrugged.

“Alright, gather around you monkeys.” Coach Gunn called out, walking onto the felid.

Adjusting my socks, I knelt down on the ground beside Luke and Michael, while the rest of the team gathered behind us.

“This is a big game.” Coach Gunn sighed, looking tired, “We win this. I’ll lay off the sprints for a week and take you shits out for ice-cream like the toddlers you are. But if you lose this. We’re done. Out of the finals. Finished.”

“And there’s scouts here.” A tiny, freckle faced freshman who had made it onto the team by the skin of his teeth added.

“That there are.” Coach Gunn grumbled, “This is a big game, which is why we’re bringing out the big guns and starting strong.”

“What’s the line up coach?” someone questioned.

Nodding, Coach Gunn held out his clipboard which was covered in scribble like writing.

“Hemmings, you’re in goal.” He said turning to Luke.

Holding a hand out, Michael high fived him.