seven

"We were High School Sweethearts. Or at least that's what I thought." Professor Ann said, putting the paper Catelyn passed in her table while fixing her glasses and crossing her arms. She wasn't ready for this conversation. Catelyn decided to stay for a little while as she was about to hear the story behind every word on the poems that she found. She sat on the chair in front of Professor Ann's desk.

"What happened?" Catelyn asked.

"Your mom and I knew each other since we were in second grade. She's new in our school and our teacher decided to make me her little tour guide. We became friends. We lived in the same block."

"So you guys are great friends, best friends, inseparable pair of friends-?" Catelyn asked but before she could continue her question. Professor Ann couldn't control herself but to say

"Lovers."

Catelyn's face became a complete epitome of confusion. She didn't know that her mom had a relationship with her Professor back then. What's more is, Professor Ann is a woman. She has a lot of questions inside her mind but all she can ask is

"Lovers..?"

"She is my everything, Catelyn. Charlotte is my everything." Professor Ann started to tear up; Catelyn comforted her.

"Tell me more."

"Life back then was a misery. Until Charlotte happened. She became my hope for everything that I'm going through. She was there when I had my first fight, my first failing grade, the first time going to a night out..."

The room became quiet for a moment. Professor Ann opened a little box beside her, showing a picture that depicts Charlotte and her smiling together and looking really happy.

"This is when your mom and I had our first kiss. She's actually my first everything."

Professor Ann smiled for a moment, reminiscing the time when Charlotte asked her out. The time when Charlotte hugged her when she knew Ann passed the test. The moment when every time Charlotte is around, she smiles. The Charlotte that makes her the happiest woman - even up to this day.

"But, fate wasn't in our favor." Professor Ann continued.

"What do you mean?" Catelyn asked.

"I'm in love with her. She's in love with me. But her parents wouldn't let her be with me. We had to hide our relationship. But we were happy. We continued to do the things that makes us happy. She is my happiness. I loved every moment that I had with her..."

Professor Ann paused for a moment; staring at the paper with her poem in it. She cried.

"...She wanted to be a doctor. And me, a teacher. And who would have thought that I'll be teaching her daughter?"

Catelyn was silent.

"I love her. She's giving me life. Everything was fine. We thought keeping our relationship a secret was fine..."

"...not until when her parents forced her to marry another man- which I assumed, your Father."

Catelyn sighed. She knew how hard it must be for Professor Ann to encounter such thing. But she couldn't do anything. She clearly didn't know what to do.

"Then, the worst day of my life happened. I saw her walking down the aisle with another man. A man. I remember when we planned our dream wedding- and it was our dream wedding; except for the part that she's with someone else's hands."