trois

CHAPTER THREE
careful darling

My back was still facing the door I didn't dare turn around

"Mr. Perez." A gruff voice broke the silence we were encased in. "I was under the assumption our meeting was next week." The tone this man spoke with was so consuming it resonated deep in my bones almost like the thrum of the music outside except his voice was deeper, more primal than anything I've ever heard. It was the voice you wouldn't get tired of hearing, a voice you'd do anything for just to hear again and again.

"Yes sir it is," I didn't miss the shake in Victor's grating voice as strong footsteps drew near. If it was possible he'd become even paler than he already was- his skin taking on a ghostly sheen.

It was fitting considering he'd be dead soon enough.

The footsteps came closer and closer before fading slightly as he walked directly past us. A large body encompassed in a tailored black Brioni suit. The amount of strength this man held wasn't just in what was under his suit that looked like it could tear at the seams any minute- it was also in the way he held himself. How he walked, talked, and even something as simple as breathing with him oozed power. He stopped at the bar cart in the corner of his office and poured a glass of whiskey.

"Then tell me," He said before taking a sip of his drink and turning around, and looking directly into Victor's eyes "to what do I owe the pleasure of this meeting." If I had thought he froze earlier I was wrong he had gone completely rigid now it's like his muscles had frozen in time.

No, not in time, In fear.

"I'm sorry Don Accardi I just needed a quiet place to talk to this woman." It was then that Santiago's eyes shifted to me acknowledging my presence. The eyes that had been at the front of my mind these past few weeks drank me in from my black heels to my eyes and I could see the dark twinge of mischief his eyes took on when they met mine. "We were just leaving." He mumbled before grabbing my arm in a vice grip. As soon as he'd made a move to leave the don stopped him with his voice.

"What's the rush, Victor?" His voice was cold and had taken on a more guttural tone now. "We had our meeting set for next week but since you've been so kind as to come here why not just get it out of the way." He'd said it in such a derogatory way I'm surprised Victor's ego could take it but then again I could practically smell the fear that had overridden any other thought in his mind right now.

Maybe he isn't as big of an idiot as I thought at least he has the sense to be afraid.

By now Santiago had moved to sit behind the desk. The large chair looked small now in comparison to when it was empty. His drink sat in his hand loosely while his tattooed fingers tapped against the rim of the glass a faint clinking sound following as one of the many rings he wore tapped against it.

He sat reclined back and for a single second, I thought he looked relaxed but when I saw the dark look in his eyes I noticed how deeply he resembled a Viper he was coiled and waiting for the right moment to strike.