onze

CHAPTER ELEVEN
a night to remember pt.2

My heels clacked against the marble floor as I made my way to the open bar alone

My heels clacked against the marble floor as I made my way to the open bar alone. Santiago was speaking to some business associates that had called him over. After reassuring him I was fine and reminding him I could take care of myself he reluctantly let me go as he spoke to them. I could still feel his eyes watching me as I seated myself at the bar.

"Whiskey please," I told the bartender when prompted and watched him make my drink with a hawk-like gaze. You could never be too careful and I wasn't taking the chance of something being slipped into my drink.

"I'll have the same." A deep voice rumbled from my right. I looked toward him and since he felt my shift he looked over as well. His face remained cold as he took in my face and I took in his.

His eyes were only a few shades darker than mine with earthy brown hair and a slight stubble covering his lower jaw. An aristocratic nose sat in the middle of his face along with full lips, shaped eyebrows, and long black eyelashes.

I watched as he took me in his eyes looking curiously at me before it was cut short by our drinks being placed in front of us. I stood up to make my leave with my drink just as his hand shot out.

My eyes connected with Santiago's across the room and I saw him making a move to get up but the subtle shake of my head stopped him. I saw the look he gave me almost an 'are you sure' and the subtle nod of my head seemed to placate him enough as I turned around and met the man's gaze head-on.

"Can I help you?" I asked kindly.

"Apologies chère," he said in a soft tone. Well, as soft as his voice could get it was slightly rough but softer when his accent shone through. "My name is Louis, I don't think I've had the pleasure of seeing you around here before." (T: dear)

I didn't let the pet name bother me as I responded. "Yes well, I guess you could say I'm new to all of this."

"Really?" He asked in a surprised tone. "I'm not one for these events, my family isn't either. I'm honestly surprised they came along this time." He paused for a minute staring at me. "You aren't alone here, are you? From what I know these events can get out of hand at times."

I gave a small grin and laugh as he looked slightly bashful at having spoken so quickly.

"No, I'm not alone. I'm here with Don Accardi." It was a gamble to mention Santiago's name but his reaction would tell me all I needed to know.

"Don Accardi?" He asked it with slight surprise before laughing slightly. "I haven't seen cette bêtte in quite a while. Where is he?" (T: that beast)

"You know him?" I asked, watching his reaction closely.

"Oh yes, Santiago, as well as his family, are good friends with mine." He grinned before his eyes made contact with someone behind me. "Speaking of families, mine seem to be looking for me." He looked at me again with somewhat soft eyes. "Would you like to meet them?"