cinq

CHAPTER FIVE
curiosity killed the cat

The two weeks following my mission at the club were filled with an obscene amount of flower deliveries

The two weeks following my mission at the club were filled with an obscene amount of flower deliveries. There were never any cards or anything that could tell me who was sending them. As a precaution, I'd pulled out my bag with clothes, money, weapons, and different passports in case I needed to disappear.

It was Friday when there was a knock on my door.

"Jade Richards?" The delivery man holding a large box had asked when I opened the door.

"Yes, that's me," I replied hiding my confusion I didn't remember ordering anything recently. I'd signed for the package and watched him leave before closing my door and checking over the package. You could never be too careful in my line of work. I knew it had to be Santiago since I hadn't used the name Richards as any kind of alias besides when I was with him.

It was an overly large box wrapped up in a red ribbon. I padded my way over to my living room and set it on the round coffee table before opening it. Red tissue paper lined the box and inside of it a few smaller boxes lay against a stunning emerald fabric. I removed the boxes first opening the smaller one I found my gold cuff from the night in Santiago's office a few weeks ago. I'd only known it was missing when I'd gotten home and had assumed my bandage caused it to slip off sometime throughout the night.

The next box was larger and heavier in comparison to the one that held my cuff. "Holy shit," I murmured when I saw the diamond bracelet and matching earrings that were encased in the velvet black box. I couldn't help but be confused as I set the box down and pulled out the dress. It ended slightly before the knees and was the softest silk with a slight shape to it and a cowl neck. The straps were lined with diamonds and ended low on the back of the dress for a nearly completely open back.

At the bottom of the box was a black envelope with my name written across in handwriting so elegant I was nearly jealous for a moment. The envelope held a card with a phone number. It didn't take long for me to make the call.

"Don Accardi,"  I said as soon as the phone stopped ringing.

"Miss. Richards" He replied and for a second his steel eyes flashed through my mind along with his tantalizing smirk. "I see you've received my gift."

"I have," The words fell from my lips slowly almost unsure of what I should say now that he was on the phone. "Thank you by the way, but I need to ask, why?"

"That's a very simple question but the answers however are much more complex Miss. Richards." The way he'd said Richards brought a shiver that rolled through my spine; it almost felt like he was in the room with the way his words vibrated through me.

I was quiet for a moment and he took that as an opportunity to speak again. "The dress and jewelry are for our date tonight."

"A date?" I questioned in a small state of shock. He must've heard it in my voice if the deep chuckle he gave meant anything.

"If that's alright with you love then yes, a date." It was silent as I grew lost in my thoughts. Scenarios ran rampant in my head of the possible outcomes; good and bad alike.

"And the flowers?" I said changing the subject.

When he spoke again I couldn't pinpoint much in his voice and I knew that if we were face to face right now his face wouldn't give much away either.

"Oh come on darling, you're a smart woman you can figure it out," He paused and I thought he'd leave it at that but instead he continued. "If you can't then I'll be happy to indulge any questions you may have over dinner tonight."

I weighed the pros and cons once more. On one hand, I knew he could kill me or at the very least make my life a living hell and on the other hand, I was way too curious for my own good.

Curiosity killed the cat, but Don Accardi wasn't a cat. He was a Don and if I'd known at that moment that he would be the death of me maybe I would've changed my answer but like I mentioned before I was too curious for my own good and with six words my fate was sealed.

"I'll see you tonight Don Accardi."