quinze

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
it's all a part of the game

(TRIGGER WARNING-ABUSE, TORTURE, GORE, BLOOD)

The plane touched down on the tarmac. I didn't feel the slight jolt. For what seemed to be the first time in my life, I was nervous. No, not nervous, scared.

I heard a few of Santiago's men exiting the plane before us. I kept my eyes closed for a few more minutes trying to keep my composure; it seemed Santiago thought I was still out cold as I felt him unbuckle my seatbelt before lifting me up bridal style.

I rested my head onto his chest as he moved down the stairs and towards the awaiting car. I could hear the rest of his men following us as he walked behind them.

The drive to his house was silent and when I heard his driver say we were only five minutes out I decided to open my eyes. My eyes trailed around the car's leather interior as I avoided Santiago's gaze.

I knew he wouldn't force me to tell him my story but I knew I had to. I could take care of myself  and I could run, but with Santiago there was an air of comfort and safety around him. I'd protected myself ever since I could remember. With Santiago it was like subconsciously I knew I didn't have too. I didn't have to fight and kill just to survive anymore.

Maybe I was so damaged that I clung onto him because of that. It simply wasn't a luxury I could ever afford. Realistically I knew that was a cop out. I wanted to be with Santiago. Yes he gave security and protection, but he gave so much more. It was okay for me to feel with him. Maybe he hasn't been able to see it yet but I almost felt free for the first time. In what seemed like forever, I could finally breathe.

I knew I had to tell him everything. For my safety and for his; but also because I knew he would understand even if he hadn't lived it.

I'd barely registered making my way into his heavily guarded house. I didn't notice the gorgeous sunset or the gleaming chandelier in his foyer that was doused in crystals.

"Jade." His voice snapped my mind back to reality. It was instantaneous and I hadn't realized how much power he held over me for his voice alone to drag me out of my horror filled mind.

"You don't have to do this." There it was again. It was almost like he was trying to drill it into my head. He'd said it on the plane as well and once again my answer was the same.

"I know I don't, but I need to." He gave a small sigh at my response but nodded as a single for me to start.

"It started when I was a kid. I don't really have any good memories of my childhood. It was always torture, I was never treated like a child. It started off slow at first. Mental, emotional, and physical abuse were normal to me. For the longest time it was drilled into my head that my parents were druggies, that they didn't want me and that I should be grateful they took me in. Crying led to punishment, stealing food from the dinner table when my body was nearly shutting down resulted in my hands being cut up." I took a small breath as the memories flooded my mind.