zéro

PROLOGUE

My black shoes met the pavement as I walked down the packed street while watching my surroundings

My black shoes met the pavement as I walked down the packed street while watching my surroundings. Hypervigilance coursed through my body like blood. I knew better than to let my guard down and it seems throughout the years my body had learned that same lesson. The bustling streets of New York helped me maintain a good cover. A good number of people around me always covered me from prying eyes.

My eyes looked through the sea of people, businessmen, street dancers, teens, and families lining the sidewalk some moving and some trying to hail a cab unsuccessfully. It was at that moment that my eyes landed on a group of three men as I maintained the same pace; two seemed to be slightly shorter while the tallest stood pacing in a sleek tailored suit. He spoke into the phone angrily while wearing a scowl, he looked like an idiot in my opinion. He walked back and forth and as I got closer I could faintly hear the other two laughing.

The closer I got the more my nerves stood on end, something was wrong. I stopped for a second discreetly looking around at my surroundings and then looking through the sea of people as well as the adjacent alleyways before holding my head slightly higher to the rooftops surrounding me. My heartbeat sped up slightly as my green eyes made contact with the extended barrel of a sniper but the gunman wasn't pointing it at me, following his line of sight my eyes made contact with the suited man from before who was too engrossed in his phone call to notice the red light that was tracing his heart.

Before I could comprehend what I was doing I broke into a sprint running towards him, shouting at the men he was with to get down while I tackled the one holding the phone. It slipped out of his hands as a shot rang out through the air only for the bullet meant for him to go through my left arm. More shots rang out as panic and deafening screams pierced the air.