seize

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
a millisecond of peace

Waking up in a random room in Santiago's mansion wasn't what I was expecting

Waking up in a random room in Santiago's mansion wasn't what I was expecting. I could feel sweat sticking onto my skin leaving a sickly feeling to coat my skin. I definitely didn't expect to see Santiago looking my body over in worry.

"Santiago." I said in an attempt to get his attention.

Nothing.

For god's sake this man never responds. I'm almost convinced I need to get him some hearing aids for Christmas.

"Santiago." I said louder. It seems he finally heard me as he lifted his head up to look at me.

"How are you feeling love?" He asked brushing through my tresses as he kneeled down to my side.

"Fine aside from the sweat covering my skin." I mumbled while searching his face.

"What were you dreaming about?" He questioned in a soft tone of voice that only seemed to confuse me.

"I don't know, I tend to forget my dreams as soon as my brain catches up to me." I said watching his reaction. "Why?" I asked with slightly furrowed brows.

"You looked like you were having a nightmare." He said while stroking my cheek in a slightly rough manner. He looked angry, almost like he wanted to fight whatever it was in my dream that scared me. I couldn't help but to think the sight was adorable.

I could feel the walls I had built up cracking more and more. Of course he was still working away with his chisel and hammer. Even if he could break all of those walls down I don't think he would stop looking through me until our souls were entwined.

"I'm alright mon doux amour." I said as my hand reached up to the one he'd placed on my cheek. I squeezed it tightly and gave a small grateful smile at his concern. His expression returned to his emotionless one in an instant. (T: my sweet love)

My smile dropped slightly as he got up without a word and left the room.

"Santiago?" I called. My mind began racing through different possibilities of where we stood. Maybe telling him so much wasn't such a good idea. It brought back fears and traumas I thought I'd buried along with my victims long ago.

Fuck. I thought. I knew I shouldn't have told him. The only good thing I had- it was ruined completely. And it was my fault. I ruined it. Of course I did, why would he want a war with the Russians. How could I be so selfish as to put the man I'm falling in lo-