quatre

CHAPTER FOUR
his green flash

CHAPTER FOURhis green flash

Jade.

That's all I had on her until I found her in my office with that slimy bastard Victor.

Then I had her calling card.   

When she saved my life the first time I was caught off guard and not because of the attempt on my life. Throughout my time as don, I'd grown accustomed to them. They were but a simple hindrance to me.

The entirety of the underground knew better than to attempt a hit on me but there were always idiots who were bold enough to try.

Part of me wants to give them credit for having the gall to go against me but the more sinister part knows they just signed their death sentence and I somehow always found myself reveling in it.

The poor fool that thought he could shoot me was killed as well as the gang they had worked for. They had just started up a few years back and thought killing me would move them through the ranks of sinners and those that were damned to the deepest pits of hell.

They were idiots and it was made clear that their hopes and dreams of being on top were in vain. They were dead by nightfall.

I wish I could say they went peacefully but what I had done to that pitiful gang was nothing compared to what I'd done to the gunman. Maybe he wouldn't have suffered such a painful death if I hadn't looked into Jade's eyes that day.

When she tackled me my hands found her rounded hips. She lay flat against my body her soft curvy body was strewn across my larger one, and I could feel the blood dripping from her arm and seeping through the fabric of my suit but it hadn't mattered in the slightest when I looked into her eyes.

Her eyes were a hue of green that seemed like they could change at any moment if you weren't watching them closely. At first glance they were fresh and crisp like spring but looking deeper into them I saw a deeper forest of green. It wasn't the kind of forest you might go to on a camping trip but the kind you'd run into for shelter against a serial killer in some scary movie. But like a serial killer you couldn't escape her she knew that forest like the back of her hand. Once you were trapped in her eyes there would be no escape. You were the victim, the prey and she was your killer.

For a second I felt myself be taken back to memory lane. I had walked along the shore with my mother back home in Italy a few years before she was killed, I must've been around fifteen.

She had this obsession with the sun and moon, something about them being a reminder that the world kept going even if at times you didn't want it to; when you just wanted everything to stop but the world wouldn't wait for you so you had to keep going or else you'd be living in the past and missing out on the present and inevitably the future. The sun and moon would continue to rise and set and we humans would continue to fall and rise once again.

We'd watch the sunset together and one day there was this odd green flash that encompassed the sky and I swore to myself I'd never forget the look of pure joy on her face. Looking into Jade's eyes I could see that green flash all over again, I felt the joy my mother had and I knew there was just something about her.

Maybe it was a sort of understanding or perhaps it was my soul reaching out for hers, begging and pleading with all my might to find that sense of joy my mother had felt that day.

But that darkness in her eyes was still there, they were akin to a poison that would creep and crawl through your veins until they'd taken over your mind and I was no exception.

After she ran off she was constantly at the forefront of my mind. I ordered a few of my hackers to find anything about her but all they found was her name before she kicked them out of her servers.

So you can imagine my surprise when I found her in my office with Victor. When he'd grabbed her arm roughly I had to fight the urge to cut his hand off. My mother had taught me and my brothers as a child that we were to never put our hands on a woman in any regard and I found that when she died her words and lessons had become a religion to me.

I knew from the moment I looked into Jade's eyes that she was someone I needed by my side.

When she killed him I felt a sick kind of satisfaction that I hadn't felt in my twenty-eight years of living. It was a shock to my system but it left a lingering buzz of attraction.

I could tell she held an insurmountable strength in her body and at that moment I knew I'd do anything to make her mine.

'In your dreams' she had said to me like I wasn't thinking about her and her poisonous eyes daily. I wasn't sure how I could get her to be mine all I knew was I had to try.

My mother's voice briefly fluttered through my mind when she high-tailed out of my office leaving me with a dead body and a gold arm cuff.

"Behind every powerful man is an even more powerful woman Santiago. You need to remember that a king will always be nothing without his queen."

Jade had already poisoned my mind and with one look my soul was calling out for hers, I wouldn't let her go so easily.

"I'll be seeing you soon."