vingt

CHAPTER TWENTY
line

I'd never been one to be anxious

I'd never been one to be anxious. Every mission, every job, I had to be the best. There wasn't room for mistakes and anxiety would undoubtedly lead to mistakes. Santiago had gone to let the Corbeaus in while I sat in the living room trying my best to calm my racing thoughts.

Footsteps replaced the sound of my accelerated heart rate. My head turned on autopilot. There they are... the Corbeaus. Olivier's dark brown eyes that held a small amount of green met mine and I couldn't help but to look over all of them again, really look over them. Cedric was nearly Louis' twin aside from their eyes and facial hair. While Louis had a darker green Cedric had a set of hazel eyes.

Marcel who looked like a carbon copy of his mother. The same mother who might be mine, the one looking at me with so much emotion it felt like I couldn't breathe. Their father Raphael stood stoic and unwavering. I could see the slight twitching in his facial muscles. He almost looked tired in a way. Like the world had beaten him down multiple times. Like he'd crawled his way out of hell over and over and nothing could break him. Nothing but this moment. I could see it in his eyes. They were different from his wife's, he looked like he couldn't take it anymore; the never ending hope and disappointment of it all.

They made their way over to the couch across from mine. Nobody had said a single word yet. Santiago cleared his throat and brought over a Manila colored envelope. He placed it on the table before taking a seat next to me.

Everyone looked towards it with narrowed eyes.

"So is anyone going to open it?" Marcel said.

Nobody moved and nobody made a sound. They all seemed to be frozen, me included.

Marcel grumbled before snatching the folder up and tearing it open. He ran his eyes over the papers quickly before freezing.

"Marcel? Marcel? What does it say?" Louis said as he gripped him by the shoulders shaking him. "Marcel! Speak to me!" He screamed as he slapped his face back and forth.

"Fucks sake," Olivier said in an exasperated tone. "Just give me the damn thing." He grumbled before reading over the pages.

His breathing seemed to stop for a moment and his eyes flicked over to mine. His mother Camille placed a hand on his shoulder in comfort before speaking. "Olivier?"

"It's her... we finally found you."

The brothers stood frozen looking at me. My brothers, brothers I never knew. Camille would have fallen to her knees if it wasn't for Raphael catching her in time. Sobs of relief racked through her entire being and while her husband held her tightly I found him staring directly at me with silent tears flowing down his cheeks.

I didn't know what I expected myself to feel as I watched their relieved and joyful expressions. I didn't share their relief, I didn't know if I expected myself to be happy but the only thing I could somewhat feel was resentment and anger.