dix-huit

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
mon petit amour

It was the next day and all I could think was she loves me

I've been on this earth for 28 years and I'd spent nearly half of that wishing for someone I could share it with. My mother and fathers love showing me what I could have one day only made me want that love even more. That possibility of having something so pure and beautiful stopped feeling like a possibility until I met Jade.

I'd give her anything she asked for. Money, clothes, cars; money would never be a problem. If she asked for the moon I'd pull it from the night sky. If it was the stars she longed for I would pick the brightest ones I could for her. I'd kill for her, by God she could stab me over and over again and as I lay dying I'd smile at her and with my dying breath tell her I love her.

Death itself could not tear me away from her. My soul would follow hers until time ceased to exist. Until everything on this earth lay barren, a wasteland of devastation. Even if the cosmos and heavens were destroyed I'd hold her soul close to mine. She is the soul everyone said I didn't have. She walks outside my body and I can't help but adore the way she finds comfort in my arms, almost like she's finally found a home.

And it's all because she feels the same.

She loves me.

I'd swear forever to her. She had already stolen everything I had the moment I looked into her eyes. She took my heart, my mind, and my soul. I would never ask for them back, she was the only one allowed to see them, to hold them and caress them. But there was this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that wouldn't go away. It had been there since I met her I could just barely put my finger on it. I would tell Jade but every time I wanted to, the feeling would disappear altogether. It was quite the curious thing but I shoved it in the back of my mind. It could be dealt with later. For now, as I sat in my office I took the opportunity to call the Corbeaus while Jade was exploring the property.

The call rang a few times before Olivier picked up. I set my phone down and placed it on speaker while I filled out some paperwork.

"Santiago, to what do I owe the pleasure of this call?"

"Olivier, it would seem I acquire some assistance." I went on to explain everything that had been going on as he assured me that he and his family would be joining us in Italy alongside some of their men. We spent some time discussing what's been going on in our lives and as the call wrapped up, he asked me a question that had that same feeling come back.

"Are you still in the company of Miss Jade?"

"I am, why?" I queried. I heard him sigh on the other end of the phone. "I know you're aware of how my family can be Santiago..." I gave an understanding hum in response waiting for him to continue. "They think it's her and before you say anything, so do I."

I sat up straighter in my seat. That's what the feeling was...Familiarity. The feeling disappeared completely from his words. Almost like that itch in my brain was finally satisfied. I knew if Olivier thought it was Jade that the rest of the family was just about losing it. He never let himself hope as much as they did, never believed them when they thought they'd found her. He always told me he'd know when it was her.

My attention was solely on the conversation at hand, so much so that I didn't hear my office door opening.

Their behavior at the ball clicked and my lips grew into a thin line. "What do you want to do about it?" I asked.

"A DNA test," he said. "It's the easiest way to find out."

"You do realize that involves getting her DNA don't you? If she asks what it's for I won't lie to her."

"I'm not asking you to; I would never want you to, especially if it's her." he said quickly.

"Olivier... are you sure it's her? You've gone through these tests before, what makes you think this time will be different from the last? You've never let yourself hope, what changed?" If it wasn't her he'd be destroyed. Through the years the Corbeaus became family and I hated seeing them in agony.

"I didn't need to hope the others were her. I knew they weren't; my family was desperate and so was I but I never let that cloud my judgment. I'd know my sister anywhere and I'm telling you right now that it's Jade. I finally have my peu d'amour back." (T:Little Love)

"Alright I'll see what I can do." I said and I would, if it was really her Jade would finally have a family. One that's looked for her for years.

"You asked what changed Santiago..."

The words Olivier had spoken to Jade that night at the ball flashed through his mind.

'The one person who will always own my heart'

"I felt my heart again."

"What do you mean, Olivier?" I asked slightly confused.

"Nineteen years feeling nothing Santiago, nineteen. When she was taken they took my heart with her. The second mom told us she was pregnant with a girl, she had all of us wrapped around her finger and I was always her favorite." I heard him give a watery laugh on his end of the line. "When I saw her I felt my heart beat again and when I danced with her I just knew."

A creak pulled me out of the conversation, I looked up to find Jade staring at my phone with a blank look on her face, body tensed up.