dix

CHAPTER TEN
a night to remember pt.1

"Have you gone over the list?" Santiago asked while we sat in the car on our way to the ball

"I wouldn't be here if I hadn't." My response wasn't meant to sound rude but it came off as pushing an edgy boundary. I would be arriving with Santiago Accardi, I was bound to bring attention to myself. Even though my previous list of employers had never seen my face, I worked through technology and technology only and if I ever had to meet a client I'd take necessary precautions.

The possibility of this going wrong was still running through my head but I had to remind myself that I had checked over the list and done background checks on everyone that seemed the slightest bit suspicious.

"It's not too late to cancel," Santiago's voice rang out through the silence of the car. The sound of the car moving was all that was audible before he spoke again. "I never go to these things anyway."

"Oh no, you asked and I didn't get all dressed up for nothing." Looking back I probably should've said no in the first place but I knew we could both handle ourselves. Besides, I'd done my research and there was no way anything could go wrong tonight. On the off chance it did, I had blades strapped to my thigh.

The conversation was cut short as we pulled up to a large building. As the driver got out of the car and made his way to our door Santiago placed his hand on my bare thigh. "If at any time you want to leave, just tell me."

A small smirk planted itself on my lips. "Is that for my comfort or yours?" He rolled his eyes in return but I could see the small upturns of his lips. "Yours, but I do happen to fucking hate these things."

The door opened and I could see his security waiting just outside of it. The building was heavily guarded with various men stationed anywhere you looked. Cream pillars lined the entrance way and as we walked forward I placed my hand on Santiago's awaiting arm.

Apparently, all dons arrivals had to be announced so we made our way up a set of stairs that led to large double-doored oak ones. The guard stationed in front looked like a mindless zombie as he knocked on the door once before it was cracked open slightly. The guard behind the doors asked for a name before looking up and seeing Santiago and me. I could just barely make out him mumbling a never mind and looking down.

As the doors opened and Santiago's name was announced I could see conversations stop and the hall many eyes travel up to us. The guard from before coughed slightly drawing my attention to him. "Your name ma'am?" The blank stare I gave him seemed to be enough for him to back off. "Don Accardi and his date." Those were the only words he spoke but I could feel the number of eyes that shifted over to me as he did.

I held my head high as my eyes scanned the crowd. I could make out the faces I already knew, some of which I had done background checks on and others that I had done business with- not that they knew that of course.