Chapter 117

Lady K

Benjamin turned to the press as the cameras started to flicker in their direction. He had to at least pretend like everything was okay.

"What are you doing here?" He asked with gritted teeth, still managing to smile at the camera. "I thought you ran away with that lowly rat?"

"Come on Dad," Jeremiah had his teeth gritted too. "You know that I couldn't stay away from home forever. I still have some scores to settle, someone I can't leave here with you."

Benjamin turned to Obianuju. He was referring to her. He eyed her. How could she just stand there and let Jeremiah make her disobey his orders and humiliate him in front of everyone else? Had she forgotten? Had she forgotten their agreement? Obianuju let out a weak exhale. She didn't exactly know what to say or do now. She grabbed on tightly to Jeremiah's hand and turned to him, placing her face close to his shoulder. She was terrified. She wasn't used to having so much attention and camera lights on her. She was anxious and nervous and her hands were trembling. Jeremiah could feel it. He turned to her slowly. He could see how she shut her eyes, squeezing his hand and taking deep breaths. That was the inspiration he needed, even more reason why he had to get this done and over with. For her sake. He didn't want her to suffer anymore.

The flickering noise from the camera got worse.

"Mr Jeremiah," someone said from the crowd. "We got news that you wouldn't be joining us today because you were on a vacation at your aunts-"

"That was a lie." Jeremiah said bluntly. "I was never at my aunts as a matter of fact, I'm not on good terms with any of my aunties or uncles because of who I am."

That sparked a lot of confusion. No one could quite grasp what he meant. Jeremiah could see it with the way everyone started to murmur among themselves.

"I know you all have a lot of questions as to so many things that concern me and my family and I'm here to answer them," he turned to Benjamin. "Honestly this time."

Benjamin scoffed nervously and turned to the crowd, maintaining a really nervous smile on his face.

"Do not pay my son any attention," he told the press. "He must have drunk hard again. I should have asked my sister not to let him have access to any alcohol."

Jeremiah scoffed.
The lies were never going to end with him.

"This is really embarrassing." He whispered underneath his breath. Benjamin heard him. He turned to him, trying not to make a big deal out of it.

"Son," he smiled. "You should have told me you were joining us today," he placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. "I would have made plans-"

Jeremiah pushed his hand away. He had a huge frown on his face that told Benjamin he wasn't in the mood to play his games. He was done lying, he was done hiding. He was done living a lie and he hoped his father could see it. He turned to the press who were still waiting for an explanation.

"All your speculations and conclusions were right." He announced, letting himself smile a little bit. "I won't be getting married to Oma tomorrow because Oma and I are no longer engaged."

The murmurs got loud and there it came, the noisy clicks of keyboard keys. Everyone got busy immediately. This was an exclusive news that shouldn't be taken likely.

"What do you mean you're not engaged to Miss Oma?" Someone from the crowd asked him. "Your father made it clear-"

"My father has been trying to force me into a marriage with Oma Richards because of his huge greed in acquiring the oil wells that belong to the Richard family. We were both forced into an engagement we didn't want, both victims of our parents' greed."