Chapter 50

Kora

Kora

The GBTS gala.
Grace was right. It was nothing like all the other rich events I had been to. Peter's connection came through at last, and I had ended up taking the royal blue shimmer dress Mum and Grace had chosen for me. The long slit by the side made me feel almost naked, that I just had to constantly and consciously keep my silver clutch on my thighs, to at least close it up a little bit. How on earth did I even agree to this?

My make up was a bit heavy. Trust my mum to do the most. She had hired an entire fashion team to handle the process of getting us ready for the gala. I couldn't even remember the last time I wore that much make up. You should have seen my Mum. She had herself covered in designers, from head to toe. From Prada to YSL to Vanessa Ador and Gucci, she wore it all, and was all smiles the moment she had noticed her "friends" talking among themselves at one of the corners of the large expensively decorated room. She left me to go talk to them, and Peter followed suit, the moment he saw some business partners too. I mean, who wouldn't want to brag and make an entrance, by appearing to their friends, just to show them that they were invited too?

It was just me and Racheal now.

I still had my eyes scanning round the room. There were so many people, I didn't even know half of them, and I could have sworn there were many non citizens there too. I could see them. Different people of different colors from different countries. Americans, Arabs, Asians, you name them. I could see how Oma was blending easily with all of them, without any stress. There was a woman beside her, doing most of the talking. She was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen, and she looked a lot like Oma too. It was really obvious now how Oma got her looks. With genes like that, there was no way you wouldn't be one of the most beautiful girls in the world.

"Drinks?"

My eyes shifted to the man with a tray filled with champagne flutes in his hands, and a wide smile on his face. I returned his smile.

"I- can I get something non alcoholic please?" I asked him. Even though I had just clocked eighteen, and was legal, I wasn't sure I was ready yet for most of the things in the world. Call me boring, but I had tried alcohol in the past, and it didn't sit well in me. My system simply wasn't built for it. I had zero tolerance for alcohol, so I mostly passed on it.

"I'll have one please." Racheal reached for the tray, and got out a flute. "Thank you."

The man smiled, and then walked away. I let out an exhale. Of course, what else did I expect to drink at a gala? I just had to wait a bit, till someone with a tray filled with cocktails passed by.

"I know you're not used to parties like this." I slowly turned to Racheal, who pulled her flute away from her mouth. "You're not really used to being around rich people, and engaging in rich people's activities, but God, can you really not start with your 'only daughter of Jesus' attitude here and now? It's bad enough I have to identify as your family."She rolled her eyes, and then turned to leave, before she paused. She turned back. I really wished she didn't.