Chapter 66

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

We were outside.
Outside the house. I had no idea how much further we had to go, I didn't know where she was taking me, but I loved watching her hair sway with the wind, as she pulled me right behind her, so I didn't resist. I enjoyed it. She stopped a few paces to the front gate. I should have guessed, she wanted me to leave. I watched her pause for a minute, taking a deep breath, right before she turned to me.

"Did you come with your car?" She asked me. I exhaled and then reached for both my pockets, raising my eyes to her. She was waiting for an answer.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm not allowed to drive on my own. Yet."

"You're not allowed to drive? How in the world does that make sense? Are you fifteen?"

"No I'm illegitimate." I answered, a tiny smile forcing its way on my face. For the first time in my life, I had actually said those words to someone, and it felt good. Really good. "And I cause a lot of trouble, so I'm kind of in the process of getting my father to trust me and let me go places on my own."

Had what I said make her uncomfortable? I watched her look away, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"I didn't ask you that." She whispered, pouting her lips.

"I know." She had no idea I had heard her. "I just wanted to say those words to you. It felt really good to say those words to someone else."

She slowly turned back to face me, her frown loosening a little bit. She blinked, and then clicked her tongue.

I scoffed.

"What? It's not something you don't already know." My smile got worse. I couldn't help myself, and she noticed.

"What's funny?"

"You're so pretty." I told her. I could see how shy she got, even when she tried to act like she was irritated. She scoffed, and then shook her head.

"How did you get here?" She asked me.

"Uber."

She got out her phone, and then began to push some buttons on her screen. I studied her for a second.

"What are you doing?"

"What does it look like?" She asked "I'm booking you a cab that would take you back to your house. What's your address-"

I grabbed her phone from her hands before she said anything else. She gasped, and then turned to me.

"Why did you do that?"

I exhaled, and then raised her phone up so she couldn't reach for it. I was way taller anyway.

"Stop pushing me away." The smile on my face faded. "It breaks my heart when those I like try to push me away." I was looking right in her eyes, and she was looking right into mine. She just stood where she was, she didn't move a muscle. She must have been so surprised. I must have made her that way. Was I being too sensitive? Too forward? I  slowly dropped my hand from the air. The silence was deafening.