Chapter 88

I got to the hospital, my hands still trembling and my mind all over the place

There were a thousand things going through my head and I prayed, God, I had prayed so hard on my way, prayed to God that he wasn't hurt, that he was okay. I was scared and my fear grew even worse when I noticed the press in their tons crowding the front door of the hospital, trying to push themselves in while the security struggled to keep them out. It was chaotic.

There was no reason for it not to be anyway. One of the country's most important people was shot on live TV and every agency wanted to get on top of the situation first. It was crazy. I knew this hospital like the back of my hands. I had come there a couple of times, and spent hours trying to get inside the moment I was told that Jeremiah had been admitted when I got out of NDLEA's cell.

I was told that Jeremiah's family owned big shares at the hospital so they frequented there a lot, that was their family's hospital. It was quite difficult for anyone to get in at this point. I had also heard that the VIP section of the hospital was on a security lock down since they were brought in. No one was allowed to go inside or out except they were VIP patients.

I turned around quickly, backing the press before anyone noticed I was there. I mean, I was still on the top ten most talked about list in the country. Everyone still talked about the girl that was raped and mistreated by the Orji's. My name had to practically be in everyone's mouth especially since I had refused to grant any press meetings or interviews ever since. The last thing I needed was getting them to turn their hunger for popular news to me. I tugged my face cap that I had bought from the supermarket on my way once again so it rested above my face, lowering my head just enough to hide my eyes. I bit on my lip hard, shutting my eyes for a second so I could think of a possible way around the situation. I had to get into that building without being noticed, I had to see if he was okay.

I started to hear Sirens.

The screeching sound of car tires followed shortly after and that was when I opened my eyes to see the ambulance that rushed into the huge compound. I watched some nurses rush out of the front door immediately, while some men in uniforms pulled out a stretcher from the ambulance. There was a wounded pregnant woman in it and it looked like it was an emergency. They were hurrying towards me, trying to get into the hospital obviously, pulling the stretcher as fast as they could with each of them around it's edges.

From what I observed, there weren't any relatives of the patient beside her. Her other side was totally empty so I found my cue, it had to be it. I hurried to the stretcher as fast as I could and held on to it. The nurses were too occupied trying to stop the bleeding to even notice me so I buried my face at my side so I didn't have to look at anyone. I was a bad actor so I knew that if I did, the chances of getting caught was obviously going to be a lot, the good thing was that no one really cared about the situation or the lady on the stretcher to even be bothered by us. They made way immediately so we could pass through. We pushed the stretcher to the door and the security let us pass through it.