Chapter 5

Kora

Kora

My phone churned again. It was the sixteenth time today and I had never been so irritated.

Why did he keep texting?

I couldn't help but ask myself every time the lights on my phone's screen came on and his name popped up. "Perv" that was how I saved the number of the stranger that kept calling me Mark even though I had explained to him that he had a wrong number. I turned back to my bed, with the only intention of ignoring his texts just as I did the whole of the day before and focusing on the mathematics equation in front of me which was kind of hard to concentrate on because he kept texting.

Yes,

I was taking maths classes now, thanks to my mum who thought it was better than staying at home doing nothing. It was better if I bettered myself before I got into NAUN next year. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to accept Peter's offer to help yet.

My phone churned again.

On God,
If I ever reached for my phone, I already prepared a head full of harsh words to throw in his face. I reached for my phone and then opened it. Straight to my messages.

"Hey Mark, please talk to me....."

"Mark I know this is you. I need you to text me back please. I need an address, there's someone I need you to find urgently. You remember right? The lady we talked about last week?"

"You promised to give me a feedback, I know you're only acting like this is not you because you're scared of getting caught. I won't get you into trouble, I promise."

Those were just a summary of all the messages I had gotten lately. Whoever he was, he was messing with the wrong girl and I was just about  to let him know.

"Don't you ever stop?"

I texted him back.
It delivered. I could see it. I held my breath, staring into my phone, anxiously waiting for him to read it and then reply. I had to put an end to whatever that was. I bit on my fingers nervously staring at the picture of me and Luke on my wallpaper.

Read!

He had opened the message and was trying to reply.

"Mark, thank God. I thought you were never going to send me a text. What's up?"

Scoff!

How many times did I have to say this over and over again?

"Look, I don't know who you are, but whoever it is, you have the wrong number. My name is Kora. Kora, not Mark. I have no idea who Mark is. The only Mark I know is a six year old boy who lives down my street." I didn't even know why I bothered to explain myself at that point.

"Come on man, listen. I promise, just do this for me one time. Do this for me and I'd never forget. I promise no one is going to know. I need to find her man. I need to find her before I get back. That could be the only chance I'd get to see her, from the airport."