CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: An icy surprise

As Eli and Lyn lay entwined in each other's arms, the frigid Minnesota air pressed against the cabin, permeating the walls and chilling the air around them. Lyn shivered as cold waves raced through her body, raising a path of bumps along her skin in their wake. Eli instinctively tightened one arm around her as he leaned forward and reached for the fireplace remote with the other. With a soft click, the flames leaped to attention, ready for battle against the frigid enemy. Eli pulled the heavy wool blanket off the couch and gently spread it over both of them, tucking the soft edges around Lyn as he leaned down and tenderly kissed her cheek.

"Better?" he asked.

Lyn pressed her body against Eli, burrowing into the delicious warmth of his embrace. She tipped her head back and smiled at him; a smile that traveled beyond her mouth, sparking a glow within her eyes.

"Much," she said.

She sighed and laid her head back against his chest, drifting into a hypnotic trance to the reassuring thud of his heartbeat. Wrapped in Eli's strong arms and the luxurious blanket with its slight hint of pine and crisp snow, she felt completely warm, safe and secure.

Hour by hour, the morning lazily melted away as they rested in each other's arms, laughing and talking with ease. They shared everything, effortlessly shifting between topics from childhood memories to their likes and dislikes, personal values and beliefs, and their hopes and dreams for the future. Both felt an overwhelming sense of awe and amazement at how easy it was to talk to the other.

Lyn had always been guarded, relentlessly shielding her true feelings and emotions. She had been hurt too often and too deeply to trust allowing anyone to venture beneath the surface. She had long ago decided it was easier to keep it all bottled up inside in the name of self-preservation. But with Eli, she found herself unlocking that door and letting him in, revealing all her innermost feelings and secrets.

Eli, too, found himself opening up more than ever before, daring to trust. His years in the shallow and fabricated realm of Hollywood had left him apprehensive and jaded. Over time, he found himself second-guessing every conversation, every interaction, every relationship. After all, who could he trust to really like him for himself, as just Eli? Not as Eli Colton, or for what he could do for them. With Lyn, it was different. She listened. She cared about Eli the person, not Eli the celebrity. There wasn't an ulterior motive to be found; she wasn't after anything. He could let down his guard and just be himself... and it felt good.

After several hours, Lyn glanced up at the clock and her eyes widened. "Wow, it's later than I thought." She grinned sheepishly. "Not that I haven't enjoyed this. Truly, Eli, these moments we spend together just talking are the best moments of my day. I mean that."

Eli gently trailed a thumb along her cheekbone. "Me too," he answered huskily.

"But..." she continued. "If you want to go do that thing we were talking about this morning, we need to get going. It starts soon."

Eli raised an eyebrow. "Are you even going to give me a hint of what this mystery activity is? Are you taking me to some secret Scandinavian Minnesota cult meeting? Going to offer up the California boy as a sacrifice?"

Lyn laughed. "Oh yah, you caught me. You betcha! But we better get dere soon before dey run out of da lutefisk and da lefse!"

Eli laughed. "The WHAT and the WHAT?!"

Lyn smirked, holding back a laugh that tugged at the corners of her mouth. "It's a Minnesota thing. Lefse is good. Lutefisk, not so much. If anyone offers you lutefisk, run!" She gripped his shoulders dramatically. "Do you hear me Elijah David Colton?!? You run! You run and you don't look back!"