CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: So Right

Lyn was floating in the happiest dream she could remember. In this beautiful imaginary world, she was wrapped in strong, warm arms, her whole body enveloped in complete contentment. She was caught in that blissful space between sleep and awake; when the deliciousness of the dream still tingled her senses, before shards of the real world began to slowly chip away at the edges.

Her mind fought back fiercely. No, please don't let me wake up... I'm so happy here. She stirred slightly, desperately trying to will herself back into the reverie, to keep the fantasy alive.

As she moved, the strong arms around her tightened. She sighed softly. It feels so real.

Lyn shivered and her skin tingled as she felt hot breath tickling the nape of her neck just below her ear. She dreamily trailed her fingers along the muscular arms that encircled her, wanting to memorize every inch of them before they disappeared forever, leaving her feeling empty and alone.

The fog of the dream continued to dissipate, pulling her into the real world. As she regretfully opened her eyes and blinked away the beautiful vision, she realized her hand was still moving, still trailing along tanned, toned arms that wrapped tightly around her midsection. She inhaled sharply as the haze instantly cleared and vivid memories of the previous night came flooding back. Her body trembled slightly and tears sprang to her eyes as she recalled the tender, beautiful night she and Eli had shared together.

Eli felt Lyn shiver and instinctively pulled her against him. He brushed his lips gently against her neck just below her ear.

"Good morning," he whispered huskily.

Lyn smiled and felt her whole body flush and quiver. "Good morning," she whispered back as she squeezed his hand.

Eli propped himself up on one elbow, turning her slightly toward him as he looked down at her. His smile instantly faded to a frown as he saw the tears pooling in her eyes. He reached down and gently wiped a tear from the corner of her eye with his thumb.

"Lyn, what's wrong?"

He searched her eyes as his mind raced. Dammit Eli. You moved too fast, too soon. She wasn't ready. Oh Lyn. Please don't tell me I've ruined this.

Lyn smiled and dipped her head, sliding her eyes away from his. "Wrong? Nothing's... wrong. It's the opposite actually. Everything feels so... right. Too right. Too right to be real." She shrugged sheepishly.

Eli gently turned her head back toward him and looked deeply into her eyes. "I feel exactly the same. I was worried you didn't. It does feel right, and trust me, it's real. I can prove it." He grinned as he lowered his head and kissed her tenderly.

Lyn melted, sliding her hands behind his head as she returned the kiss. Her fingers entwined through his hair.

Eli pulled back from the kiss and looked down at her tenderly. He placed his hand along her neck, sliding his thumb along her jawline, then brushing it gently over her lips. He smiled and kissed her nose.

A crooked smile crept across Lyn's face and her eyes twinkled. "So... let me get this straight. You thought that I would be the one with regrets? I mean... Eli. Seriously. Look at you. Now look at me. Shall we play the 'which one of these is not like the other' game?"

Eli pressed his finger against her lips. "Just stop right there." He leaned down, his mouth so close to hers she could feel his breath against her lips. "You're perfect," he said softly, then kissed her again.

As they lingered in a tender kiss, they were interrupted by the loud rumbling of Eli's stomach. Lyn felt Eli's lips quiver against hers as he began to chuckle; his levity prompting her to snicker and quirk her lips into an amused smile. Almost as if in reply, Lyn's stomach echoed back, causing them both to erupt into laughter.