CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Thundersnow

Lyn quickly pulled out her phone to read the weather alerts, sighing as multiple red warnings flashed across her screen.

"Crap. Highways 10 and 94 are both closed." She looked back up at Eli, her voice dropping to a soft whisper. "I'm afraid we're stuck here."

She hesitated, biting her lip. "And... there aren't any hotels open. Not in the winter."

Eli ran his hand through his hair. "Well, that adds another level of difficulty to our adventure, huh? Any suggestions where we go?"

Lyn leaned back in the booth, sighing as she appeared deep in thought. A moment later, she sat forward and nodded. "Actually, I have an idea. This is my hometown, after all. I know a few people here."

She pulled out her phone, swiped through her contacts and pressed dial. She smiled up at Eli as she placed the phone to her ear.

"Hey Jules, it's Lyn. ... I'm great, thank you. How are you? How's Colorado?"

At that moment, the waitress returned to their table. She picked up the check and Lyn's card from the table as she leaned toward Eli, speaking softly so she wouldn't interrupt Lyn's conversation.

"I'll take care of this so you folks can get going. Looks like a nasty one out there." She glanced out the window, then smiled back at Eli, lightly tapping the top of the table. "I'll be right back."

Eli smiled at her and nodded. "Thank you," he said, while at the same time curiously watching Lyn out of the corner of his eye as she was engaged in her phone conversation. The waitress nodded and walked away.

"Oh, Julie, I can't thank you enough! ... Yes. I remember... No, we'll be fine. It's perfect."

The waitress returned, setting the receipt and card down on the table with a smile. "You two be careful. Come back and visit us again soon."

Eli returned her smile. "Thanks. I'd like that." He returned his attention to Lyn as the waitress walked away.

"Give Lincoln a hug for me. Thank you, again, Julie. You're a lifesaver. ... You too. ... Bye."

Lyn disconnected the call and dropped her phone back in her purse as she turned to Eli with a wide smile. "Well, I got us a place to stay, but we better get going. It's a short drive, and the roads aren't getting any better."

Eli laughed. "Lyn rides to my rescue again."

"Nah, I just happen to have some amazing friends," she replied with a shrug.

Eli stood up from the booth, quickly moving around to her side and holding out his hand. Lyn slipped her card back in her wallet then smiled at him as she took his hand and stood. Eli's eyes flicked down to their hands for just a split second, a smile curving his lips as he kept his hand clasped tightly around hers as he led her to the door.

As they stepped outside, they were enveloped in a swirling white cloud. Eli let go of her as he brought his hands up to shield his face from the driving wind and snow.

"Holy crap!" he yelled. "This is insane!"

"This is Minnesota!" Lyn shouted back with a laugh as she bent forward, leaning into the wind. She gestured toward the car. "Get in!"

They jumped in the car and closed the doors, shutting the wind and snow outside and sinking the interior of the car into an eerie silence. Eli squinted, peering into the blinding whiteness surrounding them.

"This is unbelievable," he said as he turned to Lyn. "I've been in snow, but I've never seen something so intense come out of nowhere so quickly. It's frightening and exciting at the same time."