CHAPTER THREE: On my way

Every day began in much the same way. Lyn would arrive early in the morning and they would spend the first hours of every day laughing, talking, and eating together. It was so natural. Lyn often forgot that it was the Eli Colton seated beside her on the couch. He was just her friend, Eli. She found herself really looking forward to their time together every morning. The rest of the day would be spent driving to set locations, press and publicity appearances – or on very special break days, she would take him on a tour to different areas of the city.

One evening, after they had just returned to the hotel after a long day of shooting, Eli climbed out of the backseat, but then surprised Lyn by opening the passenger door and dropping into the seat beside her. He turned sideways in his seat and grinned at her. Lyn raised an eyebrow in a questioning glance, her mouth curved into an amused smile.

"Hey... I was thinking," he said. "Why don't you let me give you my number? It's probably a lot more convenient if you have my direct number instead of having to go through Mac or the car service or my people."

Lyn's eyes widened. "You want to give me your phone number? Eli... I don't know if... I mean, is it appropriate, or allowed... or..."

"Bah!" Eli waved his hand. "Appropriate? What's inappropriate about a friend giving their number to another friend?"

He winked and held out his hand for her phone. She shakily handed it to him. He quickly opened her contacts and added his information. Then he held up her phone and took a selfie.

"You need a photo to go with the contact info, in case you ever wonder who this Eli Colton guy is."

He grinned and handed the phone back to her. Lyn smiled as she took it. Her chest was tight and she felt lightheaded. She glanced down and saw that he had added his full contact info. Cell phone, email, home address, and even a few other ways to reach him. She looked up at him questioningly.

"In case you ever want to chat with a friend," he smiled with a shrug.

"Thanks," Lyn whispered and swallowed a lump in her throat. "I just might take you up on that."

"I hope you do. Seriously." He looked at her without saying anything for a moment before a slow smile spread across his face.

"Why don't you start right now?" He pulled out his phone. "Try sending me a message."

Lyn's brow furrowed in confusion. "Right now?"

"Yeah, why not?"

Lyn laughed and shrugged. "Okay."

She quickly tapped out a brief message and clicked send. A moment later, Eli's phone dinged. He grinned and held up his phone.

"Thanks. Now I have your number, too." He chuckled deeply and winked.

Lyn flushed slightly and shook her head. "Ohh, very smooth, Mr. Colton. Very smooth."

Eli's eyes turned serious. "Is that okay with you, Lyn? Seriously, if you don't want me to have it, I will delete it right now." His finger hovered over the delete button.

Lyn reached out and touched his hand, then quickly pulled it back as a shock ran through her. She cleared her throat. "No, Eli. I want you to have it. Really." She smiled at him kindly. "And you can message me anytime, too. I mean that. Anytime, about anything. If you need a driver, or if you just need a friend... I'm here."

Eli looked into her eyes for a moment, then softly answered, "Thank you, Lyn. That means a lot."

He smiled and grabbed the door handle, turning to get out, but suddenly stopped and turned back to her.