CHAPTER THIRTEEN: Midwestern Girl Car

Lyn stood in her driveway with her arms crossed as her gaze shifted back and forth between the two cars in front of her. In her mind, she ran through their features like a used car salesman.

On my left, we have a sleek, black luxury executive car complete with leather seats, spacious legroom, tinted windows, DVD entertainment system, built-in WIFI, power privacy divider, woodgrain details, interior LED lighting ... basically an extravagant hotel suite on wheels.

On my right, Midwestern Girl car. A compact, silver Hyundai Elantra; cloth seats, no entertainment system, no executive trim, no fancy lighting. Okay, there's a sunroof, and power locks and windows, but those are pretty much standard issue. I'm pretty sure Eli has seen power windows before.

Lyn sighed, biting her lip in anxious indecision.

I know he said to bring my car, but come on... he can't be serious. Does he really want to ride two hours in a cramped, basic compact when he could stretch out in in luxurious leather? How is this even a question?

**DING**

She jumped as her phone's alert broke through her apprehensive thoughts. She pulled it out of her pocket, laughing as she read the text.

ELI: Remember... Midwestern Girl car. 😉

ELI: You're standing in your driveway questioning my sanity right now, aren't you?

Lyn instinctively looked around. How did he know that?

LYN: 😲 Are you stalking me now?

ELI: 😂 I just had a feeling...

ELI: Your car. Please, Lyn?

LYN: Fine. You win. One Midwestern Girl car for the California Boy, coming right up.

ELI: 🕺 Me dancing

LYN: 🙄 Probably a good idea to exercise now before your legs are cramped in my tiny car for two hours.

ELI: 😂

ELI: Call me when you get here. I'll come down and get you. I have a little something for our trip.

LYN: OK

LYN: On. My. Way. 😉

ELI: 😊

She rolled her eyes, still laughing to herself as she climbed in her little silver car and backed out of the driveway.

Twenty minutes later, she was driving past the main entrance to the hotel. She shook her head and smiled as she saw a group of photographers lurking around Eli's door.

They're persistent, I'll give them that.

She drove around to the back alley, pulling into the underground loading dock. She parked the car and messaged Eli.

LYN: Hey, I'm here.

ELI: 😊 I'll be right down.

She got out of her car and walked toward the kitchen entrance. Within minutes, the door swung open and Eli emerged, grinning from ear to ear.

"Good morning! I'm really looking forward to our little adventure today."

Lyn smiled. "Well, I'm not sure it's much of an adventure like you're used to, but I think it will be fun – memorable, at least."