CHAPTER FOUR: Please stay

Lyn hesitated as she opened the door to leave Eli's hotel room.

Should I leave him alone?

She chewed her lip, her eyes darting back toward his closed bedroom door. He seemed to be over the hurdle for now, but she knew he was still vulnerable and it just didn't feel right to walk away. 

She gently closed the door and tiptoed into the second bedroom in the suite. She grabbed a pillow and pulled the comforter off the bed and rolled it up in her arms, carrying it out to the living room where she dropped it on the couch.

I'll be able to hear him better from here, if he should get up and need anything.

As she passed the bathroom, she noticed one of the white hotel robes hanging on the wall. After arranging the comforter on the couch, she slipped into the bathroom and changed out of her clothes, wrapping herself up in the robe.

Thank goodness for extra generous "one size fits most" robes. She often wondered who these so-called "all" models were. One size fits 'all' my heinie. 

She ran her hands over the thick, plush material. Not quite as good as my comfy pajama pants, but better than sleeping in my clothes.

On her way back from the bathroom, she hesitated at Eli's door. She very gently opened the door, peeking her head inside. She smiled as she saw him, lying on his stomach, sprawled across the bed, one leg hanging over the edge and one arm tucked beneath his pillow.  She slowly closed the door and tiptoed back to the living room. She snuggled onto the couch and pulled the comforter up, tucking it beneath her chin. She lay there for several minutes, just staring up at the ceiling.

Should I really be staying here? Will Eli mind? Is this wildly inappropriate? He just really needs a friend right now, someone to be there for him... and this is what friends do. Right?

After several fitful minutes of attempting to turn off the never-ending questions churning in her brain, she eventually drifted off to sleep.

---

Eli stretched as he groggily opened his eyes and rolled over onto his back. He ran his hand over his face as he stared up at the ceiling.

Was it all a dream or did Lyn come here last night?

He turned his head and glanced at the nightstand.

The phone. Right where Lyn left it.

He picked up the phone and smiled as her last messages lit up the screen. On my way.

He began tapping out a message to her as he climbed out of bed and walked to the bathroom.

Good morning. Thank you again for coming to my rescue last night. You really did save me, Lyn.

He grinned widely as he pressed the send button just as he stepped out of his room to cross to the bathroom. He heard a ding and glanced back down at his phone, expecting to see her response.

That's odd. She didn't reply. But I heard the notification.

He typed another message.

Lyn? Did you message me? I didn't receive it?

**DING**

Eli's head shot up. That came from the living room. Lyn must have left her phone here last night.

He walked into the living room but stopped dead in his tracks at the sight in front of him. Lyn was curled up on her side on the couch with her knees pulled up. The bottom corner of the comforter was pulled back, exposing her foot, calf, and the bottom edge of the robe. One hand was tucked beneath her pillow, the other hand was draped over the edge of the couch. Her honey blonde hair flowed around her head, spilling over the pillow and arm of the couch. She was sound asleep. He stood for a moment, mesmerized as he watched the soft rise and fall of the comforter as she slept.