37- AA The Truth

Copyright © designschool 2020

All Rights Reserved

     A peacefulness rolled over Caroline as she drove the flat tree lined stretch of I-77 from Charlotte to Columbia on her return home from her weekend with Stephanie. Her mind wandered back over their weekend escapades. It reminded her of the fun they had when they were roommates. Stephanie didn't currently have a roommate, so it was just the two of them the whole weekend. Netflix Friday night, Carowinds Saturday followed by an amazing meal at a Gastrobar named Bulla, Sunday church, more delicious food by way of the French Cafe Monte with savory crepes and pastries to die for, then a stroll through UNC's Botanical gardens. It had been a whirlwind of a weekend, but they both needed the time to catch up without the guys.

     Stephanie had admitted that as much as she liked Chris, their relationship was beginning to stall. He had a good job in Augusta, and she loved what she was doing and the training she was getting from the senior designers at the graphic design firm in Charlotte. It wasn't that the distance was so great, but the timing didn't seem right. They decided to step back a bit, work on their friendship, and see where that led them. Caroline was worried that her relationship with Mason might create problems for them, but Stephanie insisted that she and Chris were in a really good place and neither were hurt by the change.

     This seemed like the best time to call Mason, before she hit more traffic in Columbia and had to change interstates for the final leg to Augusta. She had originally thought that he would be home tonight, but he found out Friday that Sophia's dad has a court hearing Monday for domestic violence, so he was staying with her for that. Caroline tried to call him with the voice activation feature in her car, but it pulled up the number for Julia. How did it get that from Mason? She chuckled to herself and tried again; it worked. Electronics could be such a headache sometimes.

     "Peaches!"

     "Hey!" Caroline grinned knowing that she was the reason for the chipper sound in his voice.

     "I've been thinking about you, and was about to call. We just finished cleaning up from dinner and I was able to sneak away with the excuse that I have some work to catch up on... which I really do, but I wanted to talk with you first. So miss socialite, what was your day like? Surely much more interesting than mine; another day hiding out in the house, trying to stay away from reporters."

     She began unfolding her day, beginning with the pastor's sermon on hope, and spending extra time torturing him with the description of her lunch of lobster crab crepes with tarragon creme, and the most sublime lemon curd tart. Her mouth was watering just thinking about it, and she didn't know who she was torturing more.

     "I'm glad you decided to visit Stephanie. It sounds like this weekend was a good time for you two without the distraction of Chris and me."

     "It really was," Caroline agreed. "Did you know that they decided to stop dating?"

     "Really? Wow, I guess I've been so caught up in all of this mess with Sophia's family that I haven't made time for him, at least for more than just quick conversations. I feel like a terrible friend. He's been so supportive of me, but I haven't been there for him. Are they okay? Did something happen?"

     "She said it was mutual. I think neither one are ready to consider leaving their home and job, and they decided that it probably means they are not ready to take their relationship any further at this point. I think they are open to the possibility that maybe in the future they might try again. She seems to be fine with it, so I imagine he is too. It would still be a good idea to talk with him about it."