15- AA Meetings

Copyright © designschool 2020

All Rights Reserved

     Making some last minute changes to a document before the 10 am office meeting, Caroline began to feel anxious. This would be the first meeting with coworkers that she and Mason attended since they officially began dating. Monday and Tuesday she had either been holed up in her office working alone, or working with Mason, with the exception of meeting with the school Psychologist, which was a different situation altogether since the psychologist wasn't a coworker. They had both committed to keeping their relationship low key, so today would be a challenge. Since they had their discussion on Monday, things had gone amazingly well between them. They were able to talk so easily about anything and everything, and had eaten dinner together both nights. The 10 am office wide meeting, lunch with department heads, and then a 3 pm meeting with the accounting team of a recent acquisition would definitely test their ability to keep their relationship under wraps.

     "Are you ready?" Mason leaned in the doorway smiling at Caroline.

     Caroline gathered her laptop and a folder. "Sure," she said nervously.

     Mason stepped in and closed the door, before placing a hand on Caroline's shoulder. "I can see you're nervous about us being around others in the office for the first time aren't you?" He raised an eyebrow as he watched her nod. "Just be naturally friendly, happy-go-lucky self, and don't focus all of your attention on me and it will be fine." Caroline gave him an uncertain look, and he chuckled. "I know it may be a lot to ask you to keep your eyes off of me, but if you can, it will certainly help," Mason said with a smirk.

     Biting her lip trying to hold back a smile and shaking her head, Caroline shot him a knowing look. She knew that very thing would be the challenge.

     "Of course, as you well know, I am fully experienced in giving the cold, uninterested stare. I'll be sure to use that on you, so don't be offended." Mason chuckled.

     Caroline gave a fake pout and stepped back, crossing her arms.

     "This first meeting we will be sitting in work teams, so you, Megan, and I will be together." Mason stepped closer to Caroline and rubbed a hand down her arm. "Okay, let's do this." He winked and then turned and ushered her out.

     When Caroline looked up, Chris was standing by Megan's desk with his arms crossed. "About time you two," he said with a half smile. "Mason thought it would be best if you walked in with me." He held out his arm as if to escort her, and she looked back at Mason who nodded.

~~~

     The elevator stopped at the third floor and Michael got on with several others whose names Caroline was struggling to remember. "Caroline, I've not seen you at all this week. How are things?"

     "Good," she honestly said as she grinned. Other than her nerves today, she had not felt this content in a long time. Happy, yes, but this was even better.

     "I can see it in your eyes. You look truly happy. Augusta must suit you." Michael smiled and held her gaze as she nodded. "Have you heard from John, or is that truly over?"

     Caroline noticed Chris shifted uncomfortably at the mention of John. "No. Thankfully he's not tried to contact me since." Her eyes moved to Chris's and she saw him visibly relax. Surely he trusted her not to have a relationship behind his friends back. Or maybe he's not there yet since he is just getting to know her again and is still unsure about what type of person she is now.

     "I'm glad it hasn't caused any issues for you. An out of town relationship would have been hard to maintain anyway."

     "Exactly."