33- AA Imperative

Copyright © designschool 2020

All Rights Reserved

     Monday morning four men in dark suits, that Caroline didn't recognize, were waiting for the elevator as she got off. She turned to look back at them out of curiosity just before the doors closed. Their faces were all so serious.

     "What was that all about, Megan? It's twenty 'til 8 and four strange men are leaving our office?"

     Megan shrugged. "I really don't know. It was a private meeting that they called me in for at 6:30 to make sure no one interrupted."

     "6:30 a.m.? Does that happen often?"

     "It never has before."

     Caroline glanced at Mason's office with worry. The door was open and he wasn't in. She had hoped that maybe they could speak before the work day started.

     "After the meeting, he and his dad went to Mr. Smith's office. I'm not sure how long they'll be," Megan commented, seeing that Caroline was looking for Mason. "How are you doing after everything Friday? I'm guessing you still haven't spoken with Mason."

     Caroline shook her head. "No. I told him we could talk at lunch, but I was kind of hoping he was available before then." She shrugged. "I guess I'll just go ahead and try to get some work done, that way I''ll have more time at lunch."

     Megan forced a smile that seemed to say, "I feel sorry for what you're going through." "Let me know if you need anything. I can order you both lunch if you want."

     "Thanks. That's a good idea. When Mason comes back this way ask him what he wants. I'm flexible as to where we order. Once he decides, I'll let you know my order."

~~~

     Mason had texted Caroline that he would be available for their lunch date at 11, and she gathered her nerve as she knocked on his office door.

     "Come in."

     The first thing Caroline noticed was his furrowed brow, but when he looked up it changed. The new expression almost seemed like worry and guilt.

     "Did you have a good trip?" Mason asked flatly.

     "Trip?" Caroline was a bit put off by the tone of his voice. What had happened to the apologetic sound of all his weekend voicemails?

     "Yeah. Your text said you were out of town." Mason had a stern look like on his face.

     "I went to my parents."

     Mason's mouth turned into a small smile as he remembered his brief encounter with them, "Oh. How are they?"

     "They're good. I was glad to have a couple of days with them." Caroline hesitated and wondered why they were currently making small talk when there were more important topics to be discussed. "You said that you wanted to talk and explain things. Now is your chance."

     Mason's gaze moved from her to his hands and he shifted in his seat. "I did. Well. I'm not sure how to say this..."

     Caroline felt her legs going weak. She could tell the outcome of this conversation wasn't going to be what she hoped for. Out of fear of collapsing, she walked forward and sat down in his guest chair. Being so close to him, she felt the tension increase and began to think maybe she should have tried harder to keep standing by the door.

     Face pale and expressionless, he began to explain himself. "I really was planning to tell you about my engagement the evening of the fundraising event. I admit, I should have told you a lot sooner, but I was worried you wouldn't want to be with me because you would think it was too soon or that I was being unfaithful to her. I broke up with her the night of your birthday, even though at that time I honestly thought you were dating John and I wouldn't have a chance with you. But even before you were in the picture I had realized that that I didn't love her the way I needed to for marriage. I found her attractive, and enjoyed showing her off, but we didn't ever really connect and I knew that wasn't enough to base a lifetime commitment on. I guess I had felt that to be taken seriously as a business man it was time for me to do the wife and kids thing. My parents were always bragging on my sister and her marriage and daughter, and, I don't know... it just seemed like the thing to do." Mason spoke softly and looked at her nervously, but he seemed like he was holding something back.