Open

A Year and Five Months it's been since Melissa fell into her coma. None of her family had come to see her or even call and check on her. And because no one in her family has shown up the state was called. They've taken any and all rights to her from her mother and father. So, if and when she wakes up, she will be a ward of the state. They will have to find her a home until she's eighteen years of age. Which is in three years.

Dr. Patrick Drake was checking her vitals, as he did everyday for the last year and five months, when he noticed something out of the corner of his eye.

'Did she move?' he quetioned himself. He kept his gaze on her for another three minutes to see if he was right. After no movement, he shook his head and moved to exit her room.

As if being shocked by lightning, Melissa shot up in bed gasping for air. "Noooo!" she lets out an ear shattering scream causing Patrick to jump from being startled suddenly.

Eyes wide, he rushed to her side."Melissa?"

She looked up and met his gaze,"I'm in a hospital, which means I was in an accident of some sorts." she says, her voice low and dry from lack of speaking and water.

Giving her the cup of water from off the rable next to her bed, Patrick begins to examine her,"You were attacked. You suffered from a broken leg, bruised and broken ribs and you were stabbed. Whoever did this to you wasn't expecting you to live another day." he says.

Melissa sat staring at the door,"They raped me."

Patrick's eyes widened a bit,"You remember the attack?"

She nods,"I was on my way to Michaels for dinner when I was grabbed from behind. I remember them pilling at my clothes and I fought back but they were too strong. One held me down while one watched and the other...they took turns. I must have blacked out after they stabbed me." she says.

She looks up and meets his gaze,"You must not speak a word of this to Michael. He's already been through enough. He doesn't need to stress over what happened." she says.

As Patrick checks her eyes, he begins to understand why Michael is fond of this young woman. She's nothing like the girls her age. She puts others before herself and she's strong willed.

"How long have I been out?" she questions.

"Seventeen months. A year and five months." he clears up.

Melissa sighs,"I must have been pretty banged up." she says.

Patrick hesitates on what to say next but then gets the courage to say it anyway,"Your family, they...they never came to see you." he says watching for a reaction but never received one.

She didn't even blink.

"I know."

"You know?"

She nods,"I don't want to speak about it though,.if that's okay."

"It's fine -"

He's cut short as Carly walks into the room,"Patrick, how is she-" Carly mets Melissa's gaze and drops the cup of coffee that she had been drinking. She couldn't believe that she was awake. "Melissa?"

Melissa smiles at Carly,"Mrs. Corinthos, it's nice to see you again. It's been a while and from what I was told, a year and five months while." she chuckles.

Carly calmly moves to the side of the bed, her gaze never leaving Melissa's. "Am I dreaming?"

Melissa glances at Patrick before meeting Carly's gaze once again,"If you are then we all must be having the same dream." she states.