Im Taeho [Route 1]

Upon instinct, I also got on my knees. "What're you doing?", asked Taeho. I looked at Taeho with reassurance and his frown eased. "Professor Im is someone who's helped so much in my personal life and school life. Many students look up to him. I don't care for the scholarship so please let him stay." 

President Jung sighed. "...Stand up. Both of you.", she said. "I am disappointed that this situation spiraled out of control. But because of the haziness of your relationship, I'm going to have to think more about this decision."

"B-But president Jung-", interjected Administrator Kang. President Jung ignored his objections and dismissed the meeting. "I'll talk with the higher board about this. For now, you're all free to go." Everyone cautiously filed out of the room but I stopped President Jung. "I... I just want to ask why you're doing this.", I said.

President Jung sighed. "I deem student-teacher relations as unprofessional and inappropriate. But I always seem to forget that Professor Im is still a young man experiencing life.", she said. President Jung looked me up and down and nodded. "Seeing how you two were today resembled my husband and me when we started dating." She chuckled. " I'm not sure kicking either of you out will result in anything positive for our university... or for both of you."

"...I-"

"You'll both still receive punishment for breaching conduct. But it's nothing more than services for our campus.", she continued. "Good luck to you both, Miss Lee." She patted me on the shoulder before stepping out. 

 I followed her out and spotted Taeho waiting in the hallway. He met my eyes and I couldn't help but feel shy after that forced confession. "That went surprisingly well.", I said breaking the obvious awkwardness. 

Taeho forced a smile. "I apologize for that mess.", he said. "It's probably best if I explain everything to you." Without a doubt, my heart was conflicted but I refused to let Daeun's testimony affect the way I treated Taeho. "The important thing is we both get to stay at KAIST.", I said.

----

Taeho started the car and a silence fell upon us. The awkward air was getting frustrating but Taeho suddenly spoke. "There's no lie in what was said back there.", he said. "It's a shame I couldn't tell you myself but I hope you can understand..." Taeho adjusted his mirrors before turning to face me. "And I don't want you to feel uncomfortable in any way.", he continued. "So if that means you need space or-"

I cut Taeho off with a simple 'no'. I had many doubts about our friendship in the beginning and I never thought Taeho and I could become more. I realized then my obsession with Jungkook blinded me from the person who helped me through all my struggles. "...You know I genuinely enjoy our time together.", I said. My cheeks grew hot as Taeho looked away in embarrassment. 

 "I-" He cleared his throat. "Forgive me... I'm not used to this.", he said. I could sense Taeho's discomfort so I didn't push the subject further. "For now...Let's just go back to how things were?", I suggested. Taeho furrowed his eyebrows but nodded. "Fine.", he said. 

---

KAIST officially released a statement about my scandal and debunked every rumor. However, some students still accused me of taking advantage. I even lost the one friend I could confide in. 

Daeun still sat next to me during lectures but never looked once in my direction. "Do you know what the lunch special is today?", I asked. Daeun flipped through her textbook with no reply. After a straight week of apologies, I grew tired of her childishness. I should be the one mad after her stunt in front of President Jung. 

Taeho dismissed the class and I ran to catch up with Daeun. "Hey.", I said catching her arm. She pulled away with disgust. "I have a class to get to.", she said.

"I know you have an hour passing period.", I said frustrated. "Why do you keep avoiding me?"

"Because you're a liar and a terrible friend."

"I didn't mean to fake my past relationship, okay? You just seemed so happy with Jungkook and I stupidly took it as a chance to get over him."

"Did you not realize I'd be the pawn in your little scheme? Somin, I know you never meant to hurt me but I don't think I can forgive you for this."

I sighed in frustration. "I know you're angry and if you don't want to forgive me, fine.", I said. "But can you at least apologize for putting Professor Im's job at stake?" Daeun looked down in silence. "Look. I'm not proud of what I did but I won't apologize.", she said. "It'll take a while before I can get over this."

"I'm sorry. Really.", I said. "It was dumb of me to think it'd work out. But that doesn't mean you can use your anger to wrongfully get someone fired." 

"..."

---

"Can I come in?", I asked. Taeho looked up from grading papers and shook his head. "If I said no, that wouldn't stop you from entering, now would it?" I set my backpack down and pulled a chair beside him. "That is correct.", I said. "What're you working on?"

"Another class's lab exams. I'm disappointed, to say the least.", he said. Taeho stretched and glanced at me. "...How was your day?", he asked shyly. My ears perked at his sudden curiosity. 

"I spoke with Daeun.", I said. "Well tried to. I don't think it ended very well." Taeho set his pen down and turned his attention to me. "Is that so? Well, she came in earlier to formally apologize to me. Isn't that your doing?" 

My eyes widened. "She actually apologized?", I asked. "...Wow..." 

"Despite this mess, I think you two will figure things out."

"You think so?"

"Of course. But I did say this lie wouldn't work out."

Taeho flashed a cheeky smile. "And surprise surprise, I was right again." 

"Whatever.", I said grabbing my backpack. Taeho suddenly grabbed my wrist to stop me. "Wait where are you going?", he asked. I met Taeho's eager eyes and he immediately released his grip. "...I-I have class soon.", I said quietly.

"Ah. I apologize for keeping you then."

"It's okay.", I said hiding my smile. "I'm not late or anything." 

"Then I suggest you leave before you are."

"Okay. I'll... see you later?"

Taeho continued grading papers without looking up. "...Of course.", he said shyly.

---

...to be continued