Chapter 18

"Hey, uh, congrats on the game Saturday." Taeho nodded in response. "Thank you. But it still wasn't enough to beat the Business Team. So congratulations on winning the MT." Jungkook laughed awkwardly.
"Well I didn't contribute much because of..."
"Somin? How is she, by the way?"
"I...haven't really visited since Saturday... But she is the reason why I came to talk to you today."

Taeho leaned back in his chair. "...Go on.", he said pointing to the chair by his desk. Jungkook took a seat and set his backpack on the floor. "So she and I had an... interesting conversation before the surgery."
"Let me guess. She spilled her feelings and ended up kissing you?"
"No she- Wait...Y-Yeah that's exactly- How did you-"
"I got a frantic call from her at 2 am, when the anesthesia wore off. Apparently, she never meant to act like a complete fool. Her words not mine. Something to do with the pills they gave her before popping her shoulder back in place?"
"So it was the drugs... That makes... sense."
"But what she said was the truth... I guess it's just up to you to face her words or ignore them."
"...But... she asked me something that I can't seem to answer."
"Which is?"

Jungkook scratched the back of his head. "If there was a chance or no chance of us getting back together. She wanted me to tell her then."
"Did you?"
"I was so surprised with the kiss that I couldn't even think properly. I had no idea what to tell her."

Taeho pulled out his brown notebook and clicked the pen in his hand. "Are you starting now?", asked Jungkook. Taeho opened to a blank page and tested his pen. "Starting what?", he asked.
"The psychology stuff you do."

Taeho glanced at the wall clock and sighed. "You'd be surprised how many students visit after finding out about my degree. Continue."
"...Right. Um... What do I do?"
"You answer her. Obviously."
"But I don't know how."
"Jungkook, I can't be in charge of your own feelings. No one can. Remember, you're not making a choice to make one or the other girl happy. You're deciding on what will make you happy."
"...Damn. You're good."

Taeho cleared his throat. "I'm extremely rusty.", he said. "Although, I do miss this setting at times."
"So why stop?"
"Because I had another dream."
"Teaching?"

Taeho shook his head and opened the top drawer of his desk. He pulled out a dirty baseball and set it before Jungkook. "That guy was my first homerun.", he said. "We've been inseparable since."
"You two sound very happy together."

Taeho chuckled. "Everyone hated that baseball. My parents, friends, even girlfriends.", he said. "Baseball became my life. But they all said it was giving me false hope. 'Stop wasting your talent', they said. 'You're blessed with knowledge, so use it.' What use is a dream if everyone around you loathes it?"
"But you love baseball, so why listen?"
"Because I wanted to make others happy instead of myself."

Taeho gripped the baseball in his hands. "And look where it brought me. Look where it brought Somin. So just keep that in mind when making that final decision."
"...I think I understand why so many girls like you."
"...Okay. Don't make this weird."
"Sorry. That sounded cooler in my head."

Jungkook's phone alarm suddenly rang. "Sorry, I have basketball practice.", he said standing up. "I still have a lot to figure out but thanks again for the advice.", he said. "Honestly before coming here I didn't expect you to treat me so... nicely."
"Care to elaborate?"
"I thought you'd be a little defensive."
"And why's that?"
"...Because you like her. Somin."

Taeho looked down in embarrassment. "How... observant.", he said closing the brown notebook.
"You know you didn't need to offer the advice. You could've told me to stay away from her but you didn't... Why?"

Taeho gripped the baseball again. "As a man, I too would like the opportunity of pursuing something. But as a friend, I'd want to see her happy. It's not my position to meddle with her feelings."
"...Even if it meant the chance of being with her?"
"Somin's heart has been with you since day 1. How can I compete?"

Taeho looked at the baseball. "If you two sort things out, I'll be the hypocrite to my own advice and the idiot who let her go. But if you don't, I'll do everything I can to make Somin mine."

———

"Shouldn't you be asleep?" Taeho placed a plastic bag on my living room table. "I was. But I can't now that there are gifts.", I said excitedly. I looked in the plastic bag and disappointment hit real quick. Books. "Really? 'The History of Quantum Mechanics'? 'Delve Deeper: AP Calculus'? 'Psychology and Me'?" I looked at the book's author and scoffed. "You seriously gave me your own book?", I asked in disbelief.

"How dare you. That book is a bestseller.", he replied. I tossed the book at him but he quickly dodged. "Normal people would give a balloon or card.", I said.
"Again, how dare you. You've missed an unnecessary couple of days so stimulating the mind is crucial."
"Unnecessary?"
"Miss Lee, you're taking advantage of a minor injury. Passing my class is still of importance, remember?"
"It's your first visit and that's all you say? No, 'how's your foot' or 'glad you're okay' kind of thing?"

Taeho crossed his arms. "Simply risking entering my student's apartment isn't enough to show my concern?", he asked. My eyes grew wide and I quickly tucked my crutch underneath my armpit. "...Oh my God.", I muttered. "You could get fired if people from school see you! Why would you even come here?"
"I'm sorry... Were you not just mad a few seconds ago?"
"Yeah, that was before I realized how much of an idiot I am."

I hobbled to the front door and opened it. "You're just now realizing that?", he asked. I rolled my eyes and pointed to the door. "Just leave before you get in trouble."
"Fine. Only if you promise to show up tomorrow."
"Alright! I'll go."
"Good."
———

Taeho smiled before closing the door behind him.