Chapter - 25 THE REAL PROPOSAL

As we make our way to the backyard, my mind goes to the day before the match when my mother warned me to stay away from Kiyansh, how confidently she said to me, he will be back with the actress in no other time.

My mind is reeling with such thoughts and I don't even realise when we reach at the spot where we met for the first time, it's not far from Charlie's grave. I smile at the place and the memories that erupt in my head, "Do you remember we- ?" I turn towards Kiyansh and gasp.

My heart starts beating so loud, my whole body shakes in response.

He gives me a nervous glittering smile and my chest fidgets and decides to not breathe air inside my body. "I have never done this before, please don't laugh at me." His voice is low, nervous, Kiyansh Singhania is not a nervous person.

My heart pings in response, and I stand wordlessly, my solar plexus takes so many turns that my brain sends caveats of malfunctions to my heart.

"This is the place where we met for the first time." His eyes shine like a morning star and I feel tears threatening the back of my eyes. "I saw you down on your knees in a pink dress," he continues, clearing his throat, "searching erratically for Charlie. You said no for breakfast, then no for lunch, and I was standing and looking at you, you didn't eat and continued to search for him even after everyone gave up. That was the first time I thought, how could you love someone so much?" He gulps, and his Adam's apple pops, he takes a second to say, "Then we grew up, and every other day you dragged me to rescue street dogs and cats, even when you are allergic to cats and had to take medicines. And with time I realised it were not just animals that you rescued, you rescued almost everyone around you. You rescued me from being a person who would have been an arrogant-no brainer, without a heart- you still do. You rescued and forgave your dad, every time he fought with your mom. You rescued Ashraf Kaka and begged your parents to give him and Tanya Tai jobs. You rescued my mom by becoming the daughter she had always wanted and never complained when she bought you dresses and literally forced you into wearing them, even when you hated them. You rescued my dad by becoming his chess and reading partner. You rescued even your mom and gave her chance every time she asked for, even when she disappointed you again and again."

I open my mouth and no words come out, tears leak without any accord from both my eyes, and I feel a tug so powerful that my throat aches.

He clasps my right hand in his left, his expressions soft and openly vulnerable when he says, "I know I don't deserve you." He closes his eyes and breaths hard. "I know I don't," he repeats again.

I shake my head but he doesn't see it.

He opens his eyes and his eyes are the sun in cold winter morning, they are the shore that you think is the end of the world, but is actually a centre, they are a cup of coffee in cold mornings, a garden full of spring flowers and sweet breeze, a sunrise that fills your heart and chest with an impeccable light and makes you feel so alive that you are not scared to breath.

So I breathe.

His hand tightens on mine. "I know it's selfish that I am asking you to marry me. But how can I let go? I have let go so many times before, that I can't now. I know you said yes because you think I need you, I know you don't love me like that" how wrong he is, my inner subconscious mutters, "but nobody else in the world makes me feel like you do, nobody knows me better than you, please, please marry me."

I want to tell him he is wrong. I want to tell him, that I love him more than anything else in the world, have always loved for a long time. My heart hammers in my ears, I gulp, but my throat is not co-operating and he is waiting.