Chapter 9

In a few words ay sinabi ni Mia kay Micheal ang kuwento ng kanyang buhay. Matiim lamang itong nakamasid sa kanya. Siguro ay inaarok ang katotohanan sa lahat ng kanyang mga sinabi. It was actually normal because she knew that he was suspicious of her true identity. He didn’t hide that from the start.

They were inside the library now. Pagkatapos nitong payagang makita niya ang ina ay dinala siya ng lalaki sa loob ng bahay upang ipagpatuloy ang pag-uusap nila.

“Now what?” she asked him after she told him her life’s story. She could actually feel the tightening of her chest, the boiling of her blood, but she tried to remain as composed as she could. It was hard for her to reminisce the past, to remember every painful details at how her mother abandoned her, and how she grew up without her. Buti na lamang at may isang Gilda na tumaguyod at nagpalaki sa kanya. Sinusuwerte pa rin naman siya kahit na papaano. At least, she didn’t grow up in the streets or inside an orphanage. She grew up in a normal home where Gilda showered her with love and compassion. At sa bawat minutong naririto siya sa teritoryo ng kanyang ina ay parang sinisilaban ang puwet niya. Kung sana’y hindi na niya kailangang gawin ito. But she had to. She had to do this for herself.

“Puwede ko na bang makita si Jasmin Fernan?” impatient na tanong niya. She really just wanted to see her mother, talk to her, and get things done. Then, she could go back to Iloilo, and do what she needed to do. Her life was simple and not complicated there, and she didn’t want anymore complications at this moment. She already had enough in her hands.

“As what I can see, you really do not want to see your mother. Ano ang dahilan mo kung bakit naririto ka?” anito na kampanteng inihilig ang ulo sa headrest ng swivel chair nito.

Damn this man for being so nosy! She silently groaned in frustration. She already told him what he needed to know, but there were some things that she had to keep to herself. She wouldn’t spill personal things to this arrogant prick!

Isang malalim na hininga ang hinugot ni Mia. “Wala ka ng pakialam sa dahilan ko, Mr. Travilla…”

He was watching her intently as if screening every emotion on her face. And she didn’t like how his brooding eyes could bore a hole in her stomach. How could she just shove this man away, and get to Jasmin as quick as she could?

He cocked his head. “You know what, I have to say that you are such a great actress. I know that you’re just acting up, but hey, you’re actually putting up a plausible act.”

Napatayo siya, handang idepensa ang sarili. Inuubos talaga ng lalaking ito ang pasensiya niya! Ano pa ba ang kailangan nito sa kanya? Ang gusto nitong malaman? She already told him all the bloody details about how his stepmom abandoned her. “I told you-“

He smiled at her, a sudden sexy smile that showed his sparkling white teeth, and she was momentarily disarmed. It was the first time that the prick smiled at her, and she found out that it was one of his lethal armor. This man was already dangerous, but he became twice as dangerous as he was when he smiled. But she wasn’t the kind of a woman who would easily swoon over an irresistible, sexy smile. Not when it had something to do with her irresponsible mother. Surely, not with Jasmin’s stepson!

“Relax…” Nanuot yata sa kalamnan niya ang buong boses na iyon ng lalaki, soothing her anger. “I’m sorry… please sit down…”

She found herself following him. Napaupo siya sa upuan. When he was looking at her as if his eyes were already piercing her soul, her knees would melt. And she needed to sit. Damn! She hated this. She hated how this man could affect her!

“You can call me, Micheal,” he said smoothly. “At wala naman sigurong problema kung Mia ang itatawag ko sa iyo?”

She didn’t answer. She just pursed her lips.