Chapter 61

Napakislot si Micheal. His body jerked, his head snapped up. Terror was still evident in his eyes when he raked his surroundings.

The hospital room greeted his sight. He was lying in the bed, and beside him was his stepmom, peacefully sleeping in her hospital bed. Nakatulog na siya sa sobrang pagod at puyat.

And the relief that flooded in his heart was enormous when he realized that he was just dreaming. Nightmare, it was just a nightmare. Thank God!

But the cold fear was still in his system. It wouldn't budge away thinking that Mia's life was in jeopardy as long as they couldn't find a donor ASAP. And they still hadn't. They still hadn't tracked her father. And he was scared, really scared, especially now that he dreamed about Mia dying in his arms.

His dilemma tortured him again. Christ! He was really lost. He was like a child who didn't know what to do. And when he was like this before, he usually would run to his stepmom. She would always be there to comfort him and give him sound advice. But too bad, Jasmin was now sick. But despite that, he still did not prevent himself from running to her. Wala na siyang ibang matatakbuhan pa nang mga sandaling iyon kundi ang kanyang kinikilalang ina.

His problem right now was hard to solve. He could not make up his mind. People involved were all dear to his heart. As much as he wanted to choose, he could not simply justify his act. Lalo pa at ang taong isasakripisyo niya ay walang iba kundi ang umaruga sa kanya sa nakalipas na mga taon. He really hated to pick that option. Papatayin siya ng kanyang konsensiya kapag may masamang mangyari sa kanyang ina.

Nanginginig ang kalamnan na bumangon siya sa kama at nilapitan ang stepmom. Inabot niya ang isang stool at umupo sa tabi nito. Mabigat na mabigat ang dindala niya sa kanyang dibdib. And while looking at Jasmin, who was sleeping peacefully, he noticed the unusual glow in her face. Her lips were slightly curved like she was in a half smile. She looked as if happy.

He breathed deeply. He could tell that Jasmin looked better. How he wished that Mia would get better soon. Pero mukhang malabo iyon. Mia needed a bone marrow donor to make her feel better. And that was what they didn't have yet as of the moment.

"Mama..." Ginagap niya ang kamay nito at mahigpit na hinawakan na para bang kumukuha siya ng lakas na loob doon. He knew that if Jasmin was just well, she would surely hold his hand as firm as she could. She would console him. She would share his misery. She would even wipe his tears dry.

Oh, how he wished that Jasmin wasn't sick. That she was healthy. That they weren't in this kind of dilemma.

Muli na naman siyang napahugot ng isang napakalalim na buntong-hininga. "Ma..." mahinang wika niya. He knew that she couldn't hear him but he wanted to talk. He wanted to release all the turmoils he had in his heart. He needed an outlet, or else, his chest would surely explode. God, he really felt so miserable at the moment!

And the thought that Mia may die any moment was killing him. He choked a sob. He had to fist his chest just so he could breathe. "Ma..." tila batang nagsusumbong na wika niya. "I don't really know what to do right now," he confessed in tortured voice. "Ang laki ng problema ko, natin, at hindi ko alam ang gagawin..." Muli na namang tumulo ang mga luha niya. He had never cried so hard like this before. Kahit pa noong namatay ang kanyang ama, at nang pagkamatay ng kanyang tunay na ina. Masakit iyon sa kanya pero natanggap niya. But his situation right now was killing him. God, he couldn't accept it! Lalo pa at kailangan niyang mamili kung sino ang ililigtas niya sa pagitan ng dalawang taong malapit sa puso niya.

He wiped his tears with his fingers. "Mama..." muling kausap niya kay Jasmin. Mas lalong humigpit ang pagkakahawak niya sa kamay nito. Parang ayaw na yata niyang pakawalan iyon. "You know what, Mama... Kung sana ay magaling ka na sa mga oras na ito, alam kong matutuwa ka sa ibabalita ko. I know you've long for this moment all your life. And finally, your wish has come true. Your daughter is alive. Buhay si Mia, Mama. Buhay ang anak ninyo..." Napasinghot siya sa puntong iyon. "Kung sana ay magaling na kayo, Mama Jasmin, alam ko na magiging maligaya kayo sa mga sandaling ito. But I'm so sorry, I was not able to treat your illness. Until now, you're still not well. God knows how much I tried to help you. I want to see you in good shape again. But it seems that... I failed..." Nagsimula na namang tumulo ang luha niya.