Chapter 63

THREE MONTHS LATER

It was a long and arduous battle, but Micheal stood firm beside his wife, his faith was unwavering. He would never give up on her, even if it would empty his bank accounts. At habang ginagawa ang bone marrow transplant, para na ring nasa bingit ng alanganin ang kanyang paghinga. Natapos ang bone marrow transplant at naging matagumpay naman iyon, pero hindi naging ganoon kadali ang lahat.

Mia's condition, despite receiving a bone marrow transplant, did not become better just like what they were expecting. Her body was recovering from leukemia with the transplanted bone marrow, but the injury that she sustained from her car accident was fatal. Though she had brain activities, she remained in a coma, breathing through life support for three months. And it was hard for him. The doctors already warned him of the worst case scenario, that his wife might not recover at all. Baka hindi na raw ito magigising. O kung magigising man ay hindi na magiging katulad ng dati dahil baka nagkaroon ng damage ang utak nito. But he fought for her. He refused to give up. His wife was the only thing he had in life now, and losing her would mean his doom, too. Hindi niya matatanggap iyon. And their baby... their baby was already about four months in her tummy. He could actually see the small bump in her abdomen now, proof that there was a growing life inside of her.

It had been three months since they flew to the US to seek treatment for his wife's condition. Nang umalis sila ay pinayuhan na siya ni Denzil na habaan ang kanyang pasensiya, huwag mag-expect nang sobra-sobra, ihanda ang sarili sa kung anuman ang mangyari, at manalangin araw-araw. Makikibaka sila at makikipagsapalaran para mailigtis si Mia. No one really knew what would be the outcome, but they were hoping for the best. There were times that he was already breaking down, but just one look at his wife's sleeping face, and he would find the strength to fight again.

Tulala siyang nakatitig sa pader habang nakaupo sa tabi ng kama ni Mia. He was tired of thinking about a lot of things – about his fears, worries, and emotional struggles. He was just staring blankly at the wall. He felt something moved. At sinundan ng paningin niya kung saan nanggagaling ang galaw na iyon. Kamay iyon ni Mia. At gumagalaw iyon na tila may kinakapa sa kama. He sucked his breath in a rush of emotions. He couldn't help but feel emotional. It was the first time that Mia moved any part of her body. And his eyes stung.

His eyes flew to her face. And he captured how she slowly opened her eyes, how she blinked for several times. Nalunok niya ang sariling dila. He was speechless as he just stared at her. At nang magtama ang mga paningin nila ay nanigas ang kanyang kalamnan. Hindi na yata siya humihinga sa sobrang kaligayahan. My God! Finally, Mia woke up!

Nagkasalubong ang mga kilay nito nang makita siya. Parang gusto na niyang yakapin nang mahigpit na mahigpit ang asawa. Naninikip na yata ang kanyang dibdib sa sobrang bugso ng emosyon. This was the moment that he had been waiting for. The moment that his wife would wake up from her coma, and would finally recover. He had been waiting for it for three agonizing months!

Napakurap-kurap ito na parang inaaninag siya. His throat ached, as tears swelled in the corners of his eyes. God, Mia was finally awake!

Kumibot ang mga labi nito. "Sino ka?" she asked in a hoarse voice.

And his heart stopped beating. Hindi siya nito kilala? Did she... did she forget him?

Mia felt as if she had been somewhere else, and she felt strange. Nasaan siya? Her mind was blank. She could only stare at her surroundings. She was as if in a room, and there was a man beside her. Nangunot ang kanyang noo nang pinilit niyang alalahanin kung sino ang lalaking kasama niya sa silid na iyon. But she couldn't get her mind to work. She just gaped at him, curious at why he was beside her. Sa kabila nang lahat, hindi niya maiwasang humanga sa kaguwapuhan ng lalaking hindi niya maalala kung sino. But he was handsome alright. Kahit pa puno ng gatla ang noo nito. Kahit pa mukha itong haggard. He looked tired and weary, but his face brightened as their eyes met.

Mahina pa ang kanyang katawan. She could feel that. At noon niya napansin ang dextrose na nakakabit sa kanyang kamay. She was in a... hospital? What happened? She was now confused. She really couldn't remember a thing or two. Her eyes flew back to his face. And she couldn't contain her curiosity anymore. She wanted to know him. She wanted to know who was this man who could make her stomach flutter. "Sino ka?" Maging ang boses na lumabas sa kanyang lalamunan ay mahina at namamalat.

He sucked his breath. She could see fear in his eyes as he stared at her. But what he did next surprised her. Dumukwang ito at buong pananabik na binihag ang kanyang mga labi. She was still weak, but she could feel his warm lips that were kissing her with fervor. His lips moved over hers, caught her in a passionate kiss as if he owned her. And her body instantly reacted. Her bones melted and turned into a jelly. Her body's temperature rose to fever pitch, especially when he coaxed her mouth to open, and he seeped the sweetness in her mouth.

His sweet advances felt familiar. Her body reacted as if she was made for him, as if they were molded together. And her basic instincts took over. She answered her kiss. Her response deepened the already ravenous kiss that the man gave her. Parang sabik na sabik ito sa kanya. And she was longing for him, too. She felt as if they'd been separated for a long time, and now, they were back at each other's arms, trying to catch up for the lost time.

"Mia..." he rasped her name as their lips parted. "I miss you," emotional na wika nito. "I miss you... honey... Oh my God! But I really miss you..."

Habol pa niya ang paghinga nang muling bihagin nito ang kanyang mga labi. He seemed as if insatiable as he continued to kiss her. She loved kissing this man, too. And she could only sigh. "Micheal!" kusa iyong nanulas sa kanyang mga labi nang sandali itong tumigil sa paghalik sa kanya. Then, memories started to rush back on her mind - their first encounter in the pool, when she walked down the aisle with him, and their first night together. Her cheeks flushed. She could tell who was this man now. He was no other than Micheal, her husband.

"Oh my God! Mia!" tila hindi makapaniwalang bulalas nito. "You know me?" emotional na tanong nito sa kanya.

She just nodded her head. Pinipigilan niya ang pagsilakbo ng emosyon sa kanyang dibdib.

"You haven't forgotten me?" tila naninigurong tanong nito.

"Micheal..." she whispered softly. Napailing siya.

"Oh! Thank God!" He happily hugged her. Ilang sandaling nagyakapan lamang silang dalawa, dinadama ang katawan ng bawat isa. They found comfort in each other. Maya-maya ay nagtaas ito ng ulo at matiim na tinitigan siya. "You scared the hell out of me, Mia. For a moment there, I thought you have totally forgotten about me. You almost killed me, you know..." He planted a soft kiss on her lips.

She pulled a smile. Micheal's arms around her were comforting. "Ano ba ang nangyari?" nalilitong tanong niya. "Why am I here?" Bagamat may mga naaalala na siya ay parang nangangapa pa rin siya sa dilim. She had a lot of questions in her head. And she needed to be enlightened. Pero sa halip na sagutin siya ni Micheal ay mahigpit lamang siyang niyakap nito na para bang takot itong mawala siya anumang sandali.