• 52 •

This chapter has a soundtrack
—— ——

He took her literally.

Hyun-Ji bounded into the house with her backpack slung over one shoulder. It was quickly discarded along with her shoes by the front door. Lighter from ditching both the weight of her books and the weight of another completed week of school, she turned around, expecting to see her usual welcome home party.

Only to find he wasn't there. Jungkook's spot was empty.

She looked around and fought away her feelings of disappointment, resolved to find him. "Jungkookie?" She called. "I'm—"

He emerged from the kitchen, Hyori in his arm, looking like a specific kind of dad she'd like to f—

"Hi, Noona," he said, smile at full wattage at her stunned response.

Hyun-Ji regarded him from stem to stern, lips slightly parted. A plaid button down shirt covered his broad chest, the top button undone and giving her the slightest peek at the hollow of his neck and the smooth skin just underneath. A black belt cinched his jeans around his waist, the rips in them showing off his quads.

"Jungkookie," she breathed. "You look amazing!"

He visibly reddened and smiled, trapping his lower lip between his teeth. "Thank you. I tried to look nice."

Now she wished she'd done the same this morning. She felt like a peasant standing in the same room as the Adonis before her, with her yoga pants, university sweatshirt that was decidedly too big because she felt bloated that morning, and wrinkled hair from the sloppy bun she threw it in. Being called a potato would have been an upgrade.

"Are you going somewhere?" She asked. He must be, dressed like that.

"Yes," he answered vaguely, taking his beaded chain out of Hyori's mouth. "It's game night."

Hyun-Ji self-consciously tried to smooth down her flyaways. "All this for game night?" She could barely keep her mouth closed.

"This is a date, remember?" He grinned.

She paused and replayed their previous conversation about the night in question, discovering that she had, in fact, said 'it's a date.'

He took her literally.

Slow smile taking over her face, and heart drumming, the butterflies that invaded her stomach told her that this moment made her fall in love with him just a little bit more.

"Where are we going?" She asked, her attire coming to mind again. "I can't go anywhere looking like this."

"It's a surprise, and you're still beautiful but if you'd like to change, I'll wait for you."

"But I don't know where we're going," she protested. "How am I supposed to dress?"

"Dress comfortably," he shrugged, readjusting Hyori on his hip. "We're going to be on our feet."