• 25 •

**Graphic scenes**
——    ——

Jungkook awakened to a mixture of muted noises and the thick scent of smoke in the air. The world felt as if it were in slow motion, and his limbs moved languidly as if he were submerged underwater.

Everything hurt.

Shrill crying from the rear of the car cut through the noise of the car's indicator pings and the loud ringing in his ears, and his awareness heightened. He knew that cry all too well. She was in pain.

"Hyori..."

Only a whisper escaped. It hurt to fully expand his lungs, reducing him to short gasps for air.

She needed him. She needed to hear his voice.

"It's ok. Everything is ok, Angel..."

Sharp pain lanced through his skull as he slowly turned his heavy head in her direction, his eyes eventually opening and landing on the body of his fiancée.

"Hyun-Ji?"

Her head hang to her left side.

"No..."

Tears further clouded his already obstructed vision. He reached down to unbuckle his seatbelt, his body cooperating only slightly, seeming to wake up as time passed and adrenaline surged. Trembling hands cradled her face, gently lifting her head and smearing blood on her face.

Her cheeks were still warm. He carefully held her head with one hand, the other moving to her neck, pressing the point just beneath the hinge of her jaw,

And releasing tears of relief that he could feel her pulse.

She was alive.

He needed to help them. They needed to get out of the car and get to safety. Smoke was quickly filling the cabin, burning his already torched lungs.

He reflexively went to open his door only to find he was completely trapped, his door bowing inward and blocked by a tree, the window shattered and stained with blood.

His heartbeat thundered in his ears as he looked around for another way out, the best option being the passenger side. He leaned over Hyun-Ji and opened her door, then crawled over her, fighting through the excruciating pain, trying his best to not injure her further in the process.

Weak, his body fell out of the car and into the cold snow, and he moaned in agony. His entire left side screamed, begging him to remain where he was, and for a moment he answered its call until the frightened cries of his daughter pierced through the ringing in his ears again.

He held in a sob as he pushed himself up onto one knee, and then to stand. Wobbly legs carried him to the rear door and shaky hands opened it.

"It's ok, Angel. I'm here," he said breathlessly.

Her face was flushed from her crying, and she reached for him, trying unsuccessfully to escape the car seat and get to the safety of her father arms, the harness holding her firmly in place.

He climbed in and went to free her from her seat but decided to remove the entire thing instead. He unlatched it from its base and pulled her out, setting her gently into the snow and quickly stumbling a few steps away.

He held on to the frame of the car with one hand, his body doubling over as his stomach emptied everything he had eaten earlier, the forceful action escalating the pain in his head.