• 47 •

This chapter has a soundtrack
—— ——

Ballet flats padded through the silent professional building corridor, steps muted by the dark carpeting while rose petal pink lips quietly repeated the correct suite number as she passed through. Soon Hyun-Ji came to a wooden door with a golden placard, bold black letters engraved into it displaying the name of her intended destination.

Jung Hoseok, LCPC
Counseling and Mental Health Therapist

This was it.
She took a deep breath, her chest and chin lifting to feign the confidence she didn't quite feel, and turned the handle.

Inside, she was met with a calming and simply decorated interior, and the warm smile of a receptionist finishing a phone call with a hushed voice.

"Good morning. Ms. Han, correct?" She said.

"Yes, that's me," Hyun-Ji said, standing just a little taller, her fingers tangling together. "Good morning."

"Thank you for coming," the receptionist smiled. "Here are some forms for you to fill out, and Mr. Jung will be out for you in a few moments. He's just finishing up his last conference."

Hyun-Ji smiled her thanks and took the clipboard to a nearby seat, amused that the last time she filled out medical forms she was newly pregnant and had no clue what she was doing.

Hyori came along and changed that for the better. Now Hyun-Ji was the advocate for another that depended on her and could fill out forms with ease.

Refocusing, Hyun-Ji completed the forms just as the therapist opened his office door, bidding farewell to his pair of clients. A teenage boy and his mother exited, both smiling as they said their goodbyes.

"You two take care, and I'll see you in a month." He waved fondly before turning his smile toward Hyun-Ji. "Ms. Han?"

"Yes. Hi." Hyun-Ji smiled, standing to accept his firm yet gentle handshake.

"Hoseok," he smiled, his eyes sparkling. "Wonderful to finally meet you."

She followed him into his office, inwardly breathing a sigh of relief that the stereotypical and anxiety-inducing leather chaise lounge was nowhere to be found. The office was soothing, a comfy chair faced an equally plush couch in front of picturesque glass patio doors. Beyond the glass was a row of winterberry bushes in bloom that partially obscured the view into the room, a pair of squirrels scurrying about amongst their lower branches.

He collected the clipboard from her and motioned for her to have a seat on the couch, taking the chair across from her to look over her responses. He scanned the pages for a few moments before his thoughtful expression gave way to a smile that rivaled the celestial body warming the earth.

"I'll admit, I have you at a bit of a disadvantage," he began. "Jungkook has told me a lot about you during my time counseling him."

The apples of her cheeks tingled at the thought. "He talked about me?"

"Oh yes," Hoseok smiled. "Every visit. He gave me permission to speak with you about him should you ever find yourself here, so your confidence is safe."