• 42 •

—— ——

"Here you go. See how they fit."

Jungkook carefully took what the smiling store assistant sitting across from him offered, his fingers trembling slightly as he grasped the thin temple of the eyeglass frames. Her hand rotated a mirror in his direction, silently asking for his approval of how they looked on him.

"Let me know if you want to make any adjustments," she said.

He tilted the mirror and turned his head from left to right, coffee and onyx examining the change in his appearance through crystal clear lenses. A hand raked through his fringe, pushing to the right the longer hair that usually hid the shorter along with his scar, taking a closer, unobstructed look at the rounded specs. Smoothing down the much shorter section of hair on the left side of his head, he mused that maybe he should get a hair cut soon to even everything out like Haneul had been nagging him to do.

But then what would Noona run her fingers through when she came home? Jungkook knew her schedule now and made sure to always be available around the time she would be coming home, conveniently and nonchalantly sitting on the couch, not waiting for her to walk in and pet his hair like she did every time. Not at all.

How would she react to seeing him in glasses?

"I think she'll love them," Jungseok said, leaning down to look at Jungkook's reflection. Was his growing nervousness that obvious that he could read Jungkook's mind?

Rounded eyes looked up at his father. "Wha-what do you mean? Who'll love them?"

The elder looked down at his son blankly, two breaths away from facepalming. "I'm your father, Kookie. You don't have to pretend around me."

"These look fine. Thank you," Jungkook bowed to the associate, sensing the conversation was headed in a direction that required as few witnesses as possible. She clapped softly to celebrate another happy customer and sent him on his way with instructions to wear his frames so that his eyes could start to adjust to them, a small cleaning cloth and a shiny new case to store everything in.

In the car, he took another look at himself, using his front-facing camera as a mirror. Funny how a small change like glasses could instantly make him look smarter and more resemble the college student they said he was. Jungkook still used the term loosely. He was free to return to his studies but decided to sit out just one more semester, afraid that he'd forgotten too much to continue while secretly hoping he'd magically remember his lessons before the next round of classes started.

Maybe she wouldn't think he looked smart at all, thinking he looked like a nerd instead.

"Still worried about how you look?"

Jungkook laughed nervously and put his phone away. "They make me look different, that's all."

"They make you look more like me," Jungseok smiled. He was also the owner of a pair of glasses that he used for reading and working at his computer.

"Dad, I thought you were supposed to be making me feel better about having glasses," he mumbled.

"Hey!" Jungseok reached over and ruffled his son's hair, making him finally laugh. "Tease all you want, but I don't hear any complaints about my glasses in the romance department. Trust me, the glasses can come right off."